Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge cooling fan mod

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd share my experience with building and installing an exterior fan mod for my Dometic RM2351 fridge in our travel trailer. I'm doing this in the hopes that it will keep my fridge at a safe temp when the vent side is facing the sun and it's 85F-90F outside (a common temperature range for our trips in the Michigan/Ohio area).

From the factory, it cools great when it's in the shade and it's not more than 70F outside. But once the day starts to heat up, the interior temps have gotten as high as the low 50's - clearly not a safe place to keep food!

Anyway, I looked at various after market 3rd party fan kits already sold, such as the solar version from Camco and a few others. I felt like I could do something much more powerful at a much lower cost with computer case fans, so here's what I did...

For starters, here's the exterior of my TT's vent-side, where the rear of the fridge is located:

Unfortunately, there appears to be some dead space above the fridge, as I discovered when I pulled the panels off. It looks kind of like this:

Anyway, what I intended to build was a 4-fan array supported by two aluminum L-brackets that I got at Home Depot. They would direct air out of the top vent like this:

The computer case fans are standard 80mm, push about 30+ CFM, and draw about .15A each on the 12 volt rail. I decided to do a test run by plugging them into the 120v line (sharing the same plug as the fridge) by using a 12 volt Molex adapter (available at Newegg and/or Amazon, etc). Here's the fans:

So I began to take the panel off by unscrewing it and carefully cutting the silicon seal around the edge. Must be careful - I accidentally gouged out my paint on the top in one small area! ๐Ÿ˜ž

With the panel removed, I discovered that the evaporator cooling fins were placed a lot higher than I originally thought. I was planning to mount the fans pointing up and using directional chute vents to direct the air out at a curved 90 degree angle, but due to space constraints I had to mount them in the front blowing air straight out. I measured about 22" width, cut my aluminum L-brackets to length, and hand assembled them for a trial fit:

I began by setting the fans in the L-Brackets and drilling a marker hole with a bit much smaller than the diameter of the case fans. Then I set them aside and drilled a hole large enough to get a #10 32x1/2" round head screw through the L-Bracket loosely and torquing them down into the fan frames to hold the whole assembly together. One by one I screwed them together - the end result is quite sturdy:

I was going to solder everything together, but decided to use a European-style terminal strip (from RadioShack) so that I could easily replace the fans if one went bad. Initially I just wired them all into one termination point as I didn't want to go through the hassle of doing them one by one for my initial "dry run":

The finished array turned out like this (though I will eventually wire each one into its own terminus in the strip, tidy up the wires, etc, should it work OK:

I mounted it right in front of the fins, with the directional chutes all blowing out and slightly down in an effort to curtail moisture from falling down into the fans when it rains hard. You can see in the second pic that the fan array sits right on top of the cooling fins:

I let it run last night starting at about 8:30 PM, when it was about 82F outside. When I got up this morning, it was a chilly 35F inside:

But unfortunately, when it hit around 2:15 PM today I checked again. The temperature had climbed to 42F, which is unsafe for proper food storage. Hmmmm....

That said, it was about 84F today and sunny. Normally my fridge temp would be climbing closer to the high 40's/low 50's, so it does appear to be aiding in cooling - just not as good as I had hoped. Next I will try filling the dead air space above the fridge, and then adding a second interior fan blowing off of the inside cooling fins.

Right now I utilize one of those battery operated Camco fridge fans, but it doesn't really blow air onto the inside cooling fins.

So... all in all... I'm a little disappointed, but still hopeful. Total cost for building this was under $70 in parts, and I thought that pushing almost 120 CFM in such a small area would definitely solve my issue.... but it didn't.

Oh and, as far as noise - they are barely audible running at full RPM. If I do end up keeping this on and hard wiring it into my 12-volt system, I'll likely just put an on/off switch on the rear when I wire it up. That said... getting power to my interior fan idea is a whole other problem. No internal light or power source, so I'll have to do some drilling into my fridge wall - which scares me.
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited
49 REPLIES 49

patkvm
Explorer
Explorer
I personally think that it does not matter who you buy, Gulfstream Jayco or any of the others. Here in America after the consumer does the quality control we build some great products.:E The problems that most people face is the dealer. I know that our dealer tried and tried to fix it but it finally became beyond he abilities.
2013 F150 SCAB 4x4
2013 Jayco Swift 185RB

We are on a road to nowhere.

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
campinia wrote:
This is interesting to hear. I just sold our Jayco Swift SLX 184BH with the same set up as yours because the refrigerator would get above 40 degrees during days that the outside temperature would get over 80 degrees... Unfortunately, I tried for two years to find a solution to the fridge and A/C problems and had to sell it. I did not buy another Jayco this time, as they offered no help with these problems.

patkvm wrote:
Yeah Jayco did not get involved until 7/1/2014. I have only owned Jaycos so I did go out and buy another Jayco, but I did not buy another SLX. In the end Jayco did try to right the wrong by giving us the option to trade like we did.

We considered a Jayco at first, but ended up going with a Gulfstream because their equivalent was about 10% less than the Jayco we were looking at. Now I'm kind of wishing I had gone with a Jayco, but Gulfstream has been accommodating with their manufacturing screw ups so far (put the wrong size tires on our model; warped kitchen table; did not finish plumbing the potable water tank drain line). Depending on how this fridge warranty work turns out, it may be the deciding factor on whether or not I pursue having the unit traded in for a payoff so that we can get a different one. I worry that Gulfstream may not be as accommodating, though, and I may have to resort to a lemon-law court case or something in order to get them to play ball.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though. Honestly, if they can get the fridge to work right - we'll keep the coach and be happy with it.
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited

patkvm
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah Jayco did not get involved until 7/1/2014. I have only owned Jaycos so I did go out and buy another Jayco, but I did not buy another SLX. In the end Jayco did try to right the wrong by giving us the option to trade like we did.
2013 F150 SCAB 4x4
2013 Jayco Swift 185RB

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
patkvm wrote:
EnochLight

I have been following your posts regarding your fridge. I have no answers for you but I would like to share my experience with you. I have a 2013 Jayco Swift SLX 185RB that has the same setup as yours. I have been dealing with fridge problems for a year and a half now, temps rising to over 70 degrees during the day and dropping to 20 degrees at night. The dealer has tried to resolve the problem with baffles and fans. Finally Jayco sent a transport to come and pick the unit up, Jayco and Norcold engineers spent a month measuring and building custom baffles adding bigger and more fans behind the fridge, then they replaced the fridge and repeated the process all over again. During this time that Jayco had the trailer there was some questions regarding the A/C unit that was mounted in the side wall of the trailer. Jayco figured out that when the A/C was turned on the air flow was disrupted from behind the fridge causing it to not cool, the A/C unit that is installed in these units is a window A/C so it will pull the condenser cooling air from the living space. So Jayco when back to the drawing board, Jayco looked at mounting a roof top A/C but due to the design of the trailer it could not handle the loads caused by a roof top A/C. Jayco tried to seal around the A/C but no luck. So they changed the baffles and fan design one more time.

When I got the trailer back last week they completely changed everything behind the fridge. Jayco extended the warranty another year and said it was good to go. We took it out last weekend and the fridge failed again. Since I have owned this trailer I have asked everyone that I came across with a trailer like mine they all say they have some sort of fridge cooling problem.

After a year and a half we have come to no other choice but to unload the unit. We are very saddened by having to trade the unit in but now it is the dealer's and Jayco's problem.

Like I said I am sorry I do not have any fixes or solutions for you but I just wanted to tell you what happened to us in hopes that you or your dealer might be able to pull some ideas out of our story.

Good luck.

This is interesting to hear. I just sold our Jayco Swift SLX 184BH with the same set up as yours because the refrigerator would get above 40 degrees during days that the outside temperature would get over 80 degrees. Also, my side air conditioner would not cool enough on those same days as they had installed a 5000 BTU A/C in mine then switched to 8000 BTU A/C units later on in production because they apparently realized the mistake. Unfortunately, I tried for two years to find a solution to the fridge and A/C problems and had to sell it. I did not buy another Jayco this time, as they offered no help with these problems.
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
patkvm wrote:
I stuck a mirror inside and ...

patkvm wrote:
Here is the drawing. Not to scale but you get the idea.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5493A6C9D07A39BB!1725&authkey=!AB_wkWrtHVid_z4&v=3&ithint=phot...

Thanks!

patkvm
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the drawing. Not to scale but you get the idea.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5493A6C9D07A39BB!1725&authkey=!AB_wkWrtHVid_z4&v=3&ithint=phot...
2013 F150 SCAB 4x4
2013 Jayco Swift 185RB

patkvm
Explorer
Explorer
I stuck a mirror inside and looked up from the bottom this morning, they installed a piece of the pink foam board about 1 1/2 thick to the wall of the trailer to close the gap from the fridge to the wall of the trailer. The fans behind the unit say Norcold on them. There is 2 fans attached under the coils on each side. Then they installed a Valtera refrigerator exhaust fan about an 1" up from the lower opening, there is a thermostat installed on the left side of the coils that is wired to the 2 Norcold fans, then there is a thermostat installed with aluminum tape wrapped around the big tube coming out of the burner that is wired to the Valtera fan. Then they installed a lower baffle that is on a 50 -55 degree angle, installed a upper baffle in front of the upper coils, at about a 35 - 40 degree angle exposing about 3/4 of the coils. The final baffle they installed was from the back of the upper coils with a gentle curve to the bottom of the top of the upper vent. I will draw a picture and post it to the thread.

Hope this helps.
2013 F150 SCAB 4x4
2013 Jayco Swift 185RB

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
patkvm wrote:
EnochLight

I have been following your posts regarding your fridge. I have no answers for you but I would like to share my experience with you. I have a 2013 Jayco Swift SLX 185RB that has the same setup as yours. I have been dealing with fridge problems for a year and a half now, temps rising to over 70 degrees during the day and dropping to 20 degrees at night. The dealer has tried to resolve the problem with baffles and fans. Finally Jayco sent a transport to come and pick the unit up, Jayco and Norcold engineers spent a month measuring and building custom baffles adding bigger and more fans behind the fridge, then they replaced the fridge and repeated the process all over again. During this time that Jayco had the trailer there was some questions regarding the A/C unit that was mounted in the side wall of the trailer. Jayco figured out that when the A/C was turned on the air flow was disrupted from behind the fridge causing it to not cool, the A/C unit that is installed in these units is a window A/C so it will pull the condenser cooling air from the living space. So Jayco when back to the drawing board, Jayco looked at mounting a roof top A/C but due to the design of the trailer it could not handle the loads caused by a roof top A/C. Jayco tried to seal around the A/C but no luck. So they changed the baffles and fan design one more time.

When I got the trailer back last week they completely changed everything behind the fridge. Jayco extended the warranty another year and said it was good to go. We took it out last weekend and the fridge failed again. Since I have owned this trailer I have asked everyone that I came across with a trailer like mine they all say they have some sort of fridge cooling problem.

After a year and a half we have come to no other choice but to unload the unit. We are very saddened by having to trade the unit in but now it is the dealer's and Jayco's problem.

Like I said I am sorry I do not have any fixes or solutions for you but I just wanted to tell you what happened to us in hopes that you or your dealer might be able to pull some ideas out of our story.

Good luck.

Ugh... that's terribly disheartening, but thanks for sharing your experience. Seeing as how our designs are very close, I hope I don't experience the same engineering challenge. As of right now, just with my rudimentary cardboard baffle I am able to keep temps below 40F most of the day, and on our trip last week it stayed around 34F-38F at night. There were times in mid-day when it was creeping up to 42F though.

I'm hoping a properly installed (Dometic designed) metal baffle will correct things. I also noticed that there is about 3" of space between the fridge rear guts and the back wall (Dometic recommends that there's a max of 1"), so a lower baffle should be installed as well.

That said, your experience is troubling. I'm really sorry it didn't work out. I'll keep everyone posted on how my service through the dealer pans out this week (I had to reschedule taking it in to this Thursday due to epic flooding here in the metro-Detroit region last night).

patkvm
Explorer
Explorer
EnochLight

Good luck.
2013 F150 SCAB 4x4
2013 Jayco Swift 185RB

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
See your letting the dealer make it work. Good luck, hope it all comes out good for you.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, I did it on the pop ups useless 3 way 1.9 CF Refrigerator. Never again, if the trailer doesn't come with a refrigerator that actually works, I don't want it.

Your mod looks nice but if it was sold to you not working in all situations, I would had stuck it to the dealer to make it work. I should had done that myself as the refrigerator COULD NEVER cool right as the space requirements above the refrigerator weren't made. I see you camper was made with the same incorrect design flaw. That being with the lack of space above the refrigerator that allows natural convection.

I wouldn't have a refrigerator in a Pop Up again. Marketing and crap. Had to much food go bad because it couldn't cool correctly because it wasn't installed in a space big enough for it's requirements.

Hope yours works well, good luck.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hope they can get it fixed for you under warranty, some thing this new should work well.

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Have you made any progress on your refer cooling?

Hi,

A little. Since my cardboard baffle and fan mod, I seem to be able to get it to stay below 40F for longer periods of time, but during mid-day it still climbs to 42-45F average (still unsafe for food storage). I've finally decided to make a warranty claim and see if I can get the manufacturer to do anything for me (I still have about 8 months left on the factory warranty).

They're scheduled to install a proper metal baffle in the upper compartment and claim this should alleviate my issue. We'll see what happens - I'm supposed to toke it in Monday the 11th of August for the work. We have another trip planned for Labor Day that we'll be able to "test", but I'll run it on shore power in my driveway and report back here over the next week. I'll try it sans fan mod first; then with the fan mod if it still doesn't work properly. And if it still struggles, I'll pass it on to the manufacturer again. I've decided that I've already invested too much of my time and money into something that should have been working correctly from the start.

Cheers

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you made any progress on your refer cooling?