Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas regulator

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone.

We have a 1995 Sunnybrook 26' TT. Two weeks ago, we were camping in Williamsburg, VA and went to make breakfast. The flame on the cooktop initially burned great for the first second or two, then died down to a barely-usable flame. We were able to get our omelets made at least. I tried changing tanks, but same story.

I installed a new Camco double stage auto changeover regulator back in '14. I just went out and investigated a little. There's gas in both tanks, and the water heater does the same thing. It initially lights, then immediately sputters out. I turned the pressure adjustment up a couple turns and then back down, thinking maybe something got stuck or there was a piece of trash maybe. No dice.

I'm thinking 8 years has been the life of this regulator and I need to get a new one. Does that sound likely? If so, any recommendations as to a better brand that will last longer?

Thanks,

Ken
20 REPLIES 20

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Tanks shut down with excessive flow, a safety device. Turn off the tank valves and then slowly open, might solve the problem.

Also disconnect the line going into the tanks. I had the same issue and found the line to be faulty, it was holding pressure.
I had both tanks (30 lb.) off this morning, so they were disconnected. Same problem when I hooked everything back up.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
Tanks shut down with excessive flow, a safety device. Turn off the tank valves and then slowly open, might solve the problem.

Also disconnect the line going into the tanks. I had the same issue and found the line to be faulty, it was holding pressure.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
Broken pipe or opening tank valve to fast can cause the valve to shut down, ie safety issue.

Which likely isnt the OPs case.
If working fine and then not, barring something weird like a kinked line in a slide out or something, itโ€™s very likely the regulator.
However, first turning tanks off and on. Disconnecting, or manually switching tank valve back n forth are worth a shot.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Broken pipe or opening tank valve to fast can cause the valve to shut down, ie safety issue.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I'll give that a try. Thanks. I was only using one burner on the stove, so I doubt there was excessive flow. But I will check that. It did continue to burn at a low flame, it didn't shut off completely. But it was barely enough of a flame to slow cook an omelette.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob