cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gast Tank Switch Over Valve Reset

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to pass along my recent experience.

I have dual 30lb horizontal, removable, propane tanks in my camper and up until preparing for this last trip, they have been no problem. However, this time, the selector valve decided to be a pest. It would flow fine from the right tank, but when the lever was switched to the left tank, it shut off. Also, if the selector was on the right tank and the right tank was turned off, it would not switch to flow from the left. I just used the right tank on this trip, but decided to look into solutions when I got home.

Good old internet.(sometimes) I found that these valves would sometime block off if it detected a freeflow. The recommendations I found were to turn off both tanks, remove the hoses from the tanks. Then go inside and open the range valves to let any gas pressure off in the lines. Obviously, do this with the camper well ventilated and don't strike a match or turn on any electrical items in case any excess gas escaped.

Once the lines have had the pressure released go back out and move the selector lever back and forth several times. Reconnect the gas lines to the bottles and open the tank valves very slowly.

Go back in and light the range, then other appliances to get gas back in the lines. Check the valve operation.

When I did this the valve operated perfectly in both positions. By doing a little reading I saved myself a hassle and money.

Dale
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)
2 REPLIES 2

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me 5 gallons of propane makes 2-3 season supply, so often I travel with single cylinder only.
Than the switch over valves leak when you disconnect empty cylinder, so on all my RV, I always plug one side of the valve and only switch the connecting hose when needed.
The burst valve is on new cylinder valves per my understanding?
When new technology suppose to add safety - it is adding headaches for sure
Cylinder valves also have push-open valves that open only with proper fitting in it. I had 1 on my BBQ that would allow only miniature flow and only replacing the hose to older one, who has male thread solved the issue.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. Thanks. Glad you figured it out. Probably save a few of us from buying a new regulator.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand