cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator storage in truck bed

rvishome
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought 2 new powerhorse invertor generators and don't want to build anything for the back bumper for storage but would like to put them in the truck bed. Has anyone done that and if so how did you cover them to keep them protected from the elements when running? Really don't like the idea of taking them off the truck every time we want to use them. Any pics? Thanks for any ideas or advice. This is all new to us and we are so excited to learn as much as we can.
20 REPLIES 20

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
Comparing a genny to a lawnmower is interesting, but I dont think it is relevant.
2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I know some people do run their generators from the back of their pick-up trucks, but I've also heard and read about generators in the back of pick-ups catching fire too. I've never run my generator from the back of my pick-up, and actually, covering one ... I don't thing would be a good idea, unless it's an all aluminum cover that allows room to breathe and get good air flow. I know motor homes and fifth wheels are built with generators, but I also know those generators are designed for the purpose of being housed in a compartment. A stand alone portable generator that runs from a gasoline or diesel engine or propane???? ... think about running a push mower engine in the back of your pick-up truck. What kind of an image comes to your immediate thoughts?

If you really want to run it though, I'd consider getting a set of ladder racks that attach to the bed rails and roof of your truck, and put some kind of metal structure over the top. That way the engine can properly breath ... both intake air and exhale exhaust.

I don't think it's a good idea, but .... to each his own!

Edit:
Sometimes I think we have too many wanna-be moderators... OK.... I have a King Kraft generator. I think they might be out of business now, it came as a "free-be" when I bought my Keystone Springdale 31 ft travel trailer 9 years ago form Stouts RV in Greenwood, Indiana that became Camping World about 2 weeks after we took delivery of the camper. The generator has run great from day one ... regardless of the negative reviews I researched when I first got it. It's not a "light weight" generator, it's quite heavy, but it is portable and comes in a somewhat small package that one person "can" pick up if you're young and strong. I keep it in my garage and it's sitting on a "creepy crawler" you know one of those things you can lay one flat on your back and it helps you to roll under your car or truck so you can roll around easily. I got it at a house hold auction because the creepy crawlers sold at Wall Mart are all now made with curves and such to fit more comfortably on your back when laying flat. Not good when you need flat board on wheels. I don't recommend Wall Mart creepy crawlers when you need a quick and easy dolly to move stuff around. My King Kraft generator powers my TT, enough I can run the air conditioner, but nothing else. As we don't boom dock camp, electricity has never been an issue. But I have used the generator quite often at the house when experiencing power outages and when needing electricity ... like family reunion type picnics and such in places that don't have power ..

OK... how did I do for "advertising" the King Craft generator? - pass - fail?

rvishome
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said we are new to this and I wasn't sure if it would make a difference to anyone what kind of generators we had...didn't mean to offend anyone.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not the best way to go, but cheap and easy - go to Costco and buy one on their small folding white tables. This is the smaller table that folds in half. It's very easy to carry and works well as a table if you don't need it over the generators. 30 second set up. I used one over my generators in the rain when the power was out for several days at home. It kept them dry.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tailgate down generator under Tonneau Cover.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting first post. Odd you should mention the brand of generator.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman