cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear Marathon load d trailer tires

real4u2c
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody using these tires on larger TT, if so can you explain to me the pro and con of this tire? Thanks
Retired Marine with Retired Navy woman2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 C, Workhorse p32 chassis, 8.1l gas engine.
27 REPLIES 27

real4u2c
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input and website info. Trailer tires seem to just suck from all the reviews I have read. Commercial tractor trailer tires might be an option for us.
Retired Marine with Retired Navy woman2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 C, Workhorse p32 chassis, 8.1l gas engine.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
allen8106 wrote:
...Same here, mine were 2009 U.S made. I think they are made in China now.

Pretty sure they all are Chinese made, since EPA rules drive heavy industry offshore. Maxxis is final assembled in Thailand, but use Chinese rubber, belts, and components. Probably from the same supplier all the other ST tires use.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
I never had a problem with my GoodYear Marathon originals. I replaced them after 5 years because of their age. Maybe I could have got more use out of them, but I always replace my ST trailer tires after 5 years no matter how much tread is left.

Same here, mine were 2009 U.S made. I think they are made in China now.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
One of the company selling points on our TT was using Goodyears, for the ease of warranty. That's how poorly the manufacturer thought of trailer tires. We had no problems with them, both on gravel logging roads and long trips on the freeway.
Adventure before dementia

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
real4u2c wrote:
Anybody using these tires on larger TT, if so can you explain to me the pro and con of this tire? Thanks

The Marathons do not have a good service recond when we look across the trailer industry (rvs and non rvs). A google shows this so its not just rv owners who have issues with this tire.

Check out http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues?prodType=T for just the Marathons that owners reported tire complaints to NHTSA safecar.gov.
Safecar.gov shows 123 complaints on the Marathon ST.

I would look for a ST tire with a better overall reliability service record from across the trailer world....not just 2-3 comments on a RV website.

I see PJ and Starlite trailer manufacturers are using Provider ST radial tires from Taskmaster. They've been using them for several years and their commercial trailer customers report non of the usual ST tire issues so far. They should work for a RV trailer also.

So what? You trot out these same numbers for every ST post, just like tires clockwork. It's ****! Posting a certain number of failures is meaningless without the total number in service and you know it. You are not helping anyone with your anti ST agenda.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I am 1/2 way through my second trip through mainland Mexico with mine. (3000 miles in total) The roads down here are in poor shape due to 2 El Nino rainy seasons and there are speedbumps everywhere. So far so good. i do check the pressure regularlry and i do not exceed 60 MPH. I think the latter is the key.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do the tire/axle weight compared to the max TT weight you will find they are depending on the tongue weight to make the numbers.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Adam H wrote:
I have run GY Marathons on 2 different TT for the past 10-15 years and the only time I had one blow out was after hitting a hunk of metal on the road. Everyone here always preaches the 80% rule when it comes to towing capacity as a "try not to exceed" measure. I believe that to be true when it comes to tires also. I try to purchase tires with enough load rating so if the camper is maxed out, the tires are only 80% of capacity including the tongue weight if possible. If you take a look at the numbers, I'll bet the recommended tires are barely adequate, and this does not account of uneven loading. (axles too for that matter). Using this method leaves me plenty of cushion to account for impacts to the tires while traveling and uneven loading of the trailer. So far, so good....

Adam

Adam,
Don't you mean that you select tires that are 120% in capacity of the total weight of your trailer? 120% of weight capacity would leave you with at least a 20% cushion of the weights involved.

Yes, So if my camper is maxed out, the WEIGHT on the tires is 80% of the tire's capacity.

My PUP maxes out at 5600#
My tires have 1710# capacity each
1710 x 4 = 6840# or 82% of tire capacity (leaving tongue weight aside)

I did the same with my previous two TT's. Though it was much harder to achieve my goal, I got close....

My point is that tires (even ST tires) are pretty good compared to years past. Just don't run them maxed out on the 110 degree day, through the desert, down a new blacktop at 65mph. That's a lot to ask...
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Majja13 wrote:
Some say good some say bad.

The problem with anecdotal comments from users of different tire brands is that you will NEVER know how they treated them and the info is meaningless. How much were they run under-inflated, how often and by how much run above 65 mph, how often did they hit potholes, how often did they drove on shoulders, what was the reserve load capacity above the GVW, etc. Any brand of tire can have a failure if not treated properly. ST tires are not like LT tires and need different care.

You will never hear about users that have never had trouble. It's only the ones that have had failures that go onto forums to complain about them. The number of those that post problems are an insignificantly small sample size compared to the total number of tires in use on the roads.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Adam H wrote:
I have run GY Marathons on 2 different TT for the past 10-15 years and the only time I had one blow out was after hitting a hunk of metal on the road. Everyone here always preaches the 80% rule when it comes to towing capacity as a "try not to exceed" measure. I believe that to be true when it comes to tires also. I try to purchase tires with enough load rating so if the camper is maxed out, the tires are only 80% of capacity including the tongue weight if possible. If you take a look at the numbers, I'll bet the recommended tires are barely adequate, and this does not account of uneven loading. (axles too for that matter). Using this method leaves me plenty of cushion to account for impacts to the tires while traveling and uneven loading of the trailer. So far, so good....

Adam

Adam,
Don't you mean that you select tires that are 120% in capacity of the total weight of your trailer? 120% of weight capacity would leave you with at least a 20% cushion of the weights involved.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
A flat tire is a flat tire. If you run over a nail etc. it is going down regardless of brand.

If we were to condemn every company that had a product recall or problem, we would not be driving GM products because of their deadly ignition switches or those Ford products because they burst into flame when hit from the rear. Do not forget all those death bombs with decapitating air bags; and the list goes on and on and on ad infinitum. No company is perfect.

Regardless of the opinions of the self-appointed experts, the name brand and not so name brand have a pretty good track record; particularly when properly used and cared for.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Telemarc
Explorer
Explorer
I have them on my Outdoor Rv Blackstone. Run at Max psi of 65. Weighed the trailer and we are 9,000 on the axles and rated for 10,500 on the tires and axles at at about 90 percent. We stay well with in the speed rating of the tires and travel at 60 mph so am comfortable. As soon as i see wear will change to maxis m8008 10 ply e rated tires though. Available at Les Schwab.
Sold the house, time to see the world.

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Some say good some say bad. On my TT I had 1 blow out, and the previous owner had one go out on him. The posted pressure to run on these were 35 PSI. I swapped to Maxxis and have been very happy. Plus the maxis have a 50 PSI rating.

I did check the pressure before leaving on the trip I got the blowout and had not hit any debris that I know of.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
No better or worse than any other ST tire.Have 10 of them on 2 trailers I just replace after 5 yrs or if they blow, as one did a few months ago and Discount Tire replaced it as it was only 3 yrs old.I use only load range E.