cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Green Valve Stem Covers

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
I went to add some air into my tires for my camper and noticed they were green valve stem covers. I remember someone telling me once that green caps usually indicate the tire is filed with nitrogen. Does anyone know if that's true? I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual where it talks about this.
39 REPLIES 39

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Since O2 and the rest bleed out so quickly virtually all tires have just Nitrogen. Molecules are the same size so it must be some voodoo power of the green cap.

well oxygen molecules are slightly smaller than nitrogen, even though atomic weight is higher. So tires will loose slightly less pressure but not much. And with todays tire construction it would take a LONG time before all the oxygen bleed out.

Really all a dry nitrogen fill does is eliminate water vapor which can go from gas to liquid and have a bigger pressure change effect. For those us where a few PSI is no big deal, no problem. Could do basically the same thing with plain dry air. All gases obay boyles law for pressure vs. temperature.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Since O2 and the rest bleed out so quickly virtually all tires have just Nitrogen. Molecules are the same size so it must be some voodoo power of the green cap.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reminds me of the person on here whom said that he used a vacuum pump to get 100 per cent of the air out . Wow , the tire would collapse and loose the seal at the rim .

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
As said many times before , there is no tubeless tire with 100 % nitrogen . Empty a tire and it is still full of air , all you can do is add nitrogen to the tire that is full of ambient air . A vacuum pump will not empty a tubeless tire . Jut add air and forget nitrogen .

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 78.09% nitrogen at all times in all my tires. Breathe it too when under stress. Always have.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
yes like said above, add air as needed. High school science, air is nitrogen & oxygen 21 % oxygen, 78 % nitrogen.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Pipsfc wrote:
Ok... thought so. Wasn't sure if I had to keep using nitrogen or not, but you answered that question. Air it will be! Thanks!

except you will lose the benifit of what nitrogen does.

if you fill with all nitrogen you will see slightly lower running temps, less pressure loss and it keeps the inside dryer.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
Ok... thought so. Wasn't sure if I had to keep using nitrogen or not, but you answered that question. Air it will be! Thanks!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, that is what the green cap is indicating. However, not a big deal, just use air, which is mostly nitrogen anyway. It would be nearly impossible to maintain 100 percent nitrogen, even if available. For RV tires, it is mostly just sales hype!

Jerry

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
yep, filled with 100% nitrogen in place of 80%
bumpy