cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP! I'm building a custom travel trailer.

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

My name is Darla and Iโ€™m going to be building a small custom RV later this year to travel solo full time throughout the United States. Yup, Iโ€™m doin it! I would love to share my RV plans with you and hopefully get your feedback on them. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions based on your RV experience. (i.e. my floor plan design, equipment, decor, structural design, sustainability, etc.) Itโ€™s even okay to tell me I am crazy! :โ€“)

I put my plans online at: http://myrvplans.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much for your time and for your input. - Darla
99 REPLIES 99

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
There is a very good reason why most, if not all have a one piece vinyl floor installed under everything. Cabinents, carpet, etc. It is to protect the subfloor from water. Water damage can destroy the unit in short order, and this is one of the best ways to defend against it. A spilled drink, a plumbing problem, a vent or window left open, wet footwear etc. are some of the ways that water can enter the interior and get to the subfloor. One really needs to plan for such an occurrence.

Of course flooring splitting is a complete failure... But it is rare. Most all of us have never experienced it.
From what I have read, it usually happens in the winter when a TT is buttoned up for the cold weather. Expansion and contraction cause it.
I think that running some heat in the TT will prevent it. And a good quality vinyl will help as well.

:E This was kinda the way I was thinking that the one piece vinyl becomes a great barrier to the sub-floor against liquid spills and a small water issues like a shower overflow. Also unlike carpet I've rarely seen a vinyl floor that can be cut uniformly to an object without adding moldings or strips. I've seen a lot of vinyl that curls up on edges. While I do intend to travel to Alaska during the warmer time of year I don't expect to be in any extreme cold locations for any length of time.

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
myrvplans1 wrote:

Hi Francesca! The OP is still here! I see the picture and yes pictures often do speak louder than words, but I'm not exactly sure what I am looking at or what the point is you are supporting. Perhaps, just a few more words might help the picture. Are you suggesting that the vinyl flooring should not be installed before the cabinetry?

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. As I suggested a few pages back in this thread.

As for what RVmakers do as a matter of course: I thought I understood that you are undertaking this project so as to avoid disasters that often arise from poor design and/or execution. This is one of those circumstances.

Side note:

Please don't post using colored ink unless there is some reason for emphasis of a particular group of words or single passage. That function is meant as "highlighter" and is distressingly illegible in such large quantities. Plus it makes us think you're yelling at us or something, which is not, I am sure, your intention.

:E A few pages back?? That was 20 minutes ago. LOL

I'm not trying to avoid doing all things RV manufacturers do, just avoid doing the things they don't do well. I gotta tell ya that this is the first time I've ever heard or seen a vinyl floor failing based on freezing. While I can see it's possible I question if this is just an unlikely event on a older model RV? Could the problem have been a failure in the adhesive? an unprofessional installation? an uneven application surface? I was just reading online that they routinely install vinyl flooring in RV's used in Alaska and Canada. I'm going to look more into your point. I think it's a legitimate concern. Thank you! -Darla

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
There is a very good reason why most, if not all have a one piece vinyl floor installed under everything. Cabinents, carpet, etc. It is to protect the subfloor from water. Water damage can destroy the unit in short order, and this is one of the best ways to defend against it. A spilled drink, a plumbing problem, a vent or window left open, wet footwear etc. are some of the ways that water can enter the interior and get to the subfloor. One really needs to plan for such an occurrence.

Of course flooring splitting is a complete failure... But it is rare. Most all of us have never experienced it.
From what I have read, it usually happens in the winter when a TT is buttoned up for the cold weather. Expansion and contraction cause it.
I think that running some heat in the TT will prevent it. And a good quality vinyl will help as well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
All things considered...I doubt this thing will ever happen. JMHO

B.O.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. -Darla

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
myrvplans1 wrote:

Hi Francesca! The OP is still here! I see the picture and yes pictures often do speak louder than words, but I'm not exactly sure what I am looking at or what the point is you are supporting. Perhaps, just a few more words might help the picture. Are you suggesting that the vinyl flooring should not be installed before the cabinetry?

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. As I suggested a few pages back in this thread.

As for what RVmakers do as a matter of course: I thought I understood that you are undertaking this project so as to avoid disasters that often arise from poor design and/or execution. This is one of those circumstances.

Side note:

Please don't post using colored ink unless there is some reason for emphasis of a particular group of words or single passage. That function is meant as "highlighter" and is distressingly illegible in such large quantities. Plus it makes us think you're yelling at us or something, which is not, I am sure, your intention.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Some additional links that the OP might find helpful:

Cheap RV Living in a Cargo Trailer

Stealth Cargo Trailer Living

You Tube Video Tour of a guy's converted cargo trailer

Gypsy Cargo Trailer

Thank you Burbman! I've seen all of them but the very first one and I'm going to check it out. Regards, -Darle

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Looks like the threads sorta petered out, but just in case the O.P. is still out there:

Someone posted a thread just now with pics showing the kind of damage freezing can do to sheet vinyl flooring that's installed before cabinetry goes in. Pictures speak louder than words, eh?

More pics in thread at this link

Hi Francesca! The OP is still here! I see the picture and yes pictures often do speak louder than words, but I'm not exactly sure what I am looking at or what the point is you are supporting. Perhaps, just a few more words might help the picture. Are you suggesting that the vinyl flooring should not be installed before the cabinetry? Since most RV manufacturers install vinyl flooring prior to cabinetry isn't it more likely that the vinyl flooring in the picture is a low quality flooring which would fail no matter which way it was installed?

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the threads sorta petered out, but just in case the O.P. is still out there:

Someone posted a thread just now with pics showing the kind of damage freezing can do to sheet vinyl flooring that's installed before cabinetry goes in. Pictures speak louder than words, eh?

More pics in thread at this link
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
All things considered...I doubt this thing will ever happen. JMHO

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem here, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it....it's your money and you can spend it however you like. Post back with some pics when the build starts so we can all share in the adventure.

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
The really great thing about using an empty platform, beyond building for just one's own needs, is that a builder can get everything better, mechanically, than a typical travel trailer. Being able to put an adequate amount of insulation inside is one of the major benefits. Making plumbing runs and electrical runs in some type of logical order rather than snaking a circuit around a cabinet or putting a pipe on the exterior is definitely an upgrade.

I guess it boils down to which things are important, the cosmetic aspect or the functional one. If done right, a builder can get a lot of both.

:E I think that is well said. I read a number of RV magazines, log in to RV forums, blogs, etc. and all of these informational sources seem to provide suggestions and solutions to typical RV design issues that many would think the RV manufacturer should have solved in building it. Building a custom RV gives one the opportunity to build solutions in. For instance why do they still put metal heating vents in the center of RV floors?? They are just awful to walk on with bare feet, they scratch up when the you vacuum over them and they are just about impossible to keep free of dirt. (and most RV's are surrounded by or parked on dirt/grass surfaces) Thanks for helping me spread the gospel. :--)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The #1 thing noted by anyone that steps into my rig is the cessation of any exterior noise, i.e. it's dead quiet inside. This is the result of attention to insulation and the Low-E windows. Typical cargo trailer wall studs and ceiling rafters are shallow, formed metal. You will have the most benefit by increasing wall and ceiling dimension for insulation. If I was doing a scratch build, I'd strive for 3" in those areas. That will result, in a typical spray application, of around R-18 -> R-22. I have 1 3/4" walls with a 1/4" foam insulation thermal break, a plastic vapor barrier, and 1/4" Lauan paneling. I've done some winter testing with my heating sources and even at -0 temps, a small electric heater will maintain good interior temps. The insulation is at the heart of everything, less energy to heat and cool, less condensation, and more comfort.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

myrvplans1
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
myrvplans1 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
The challenge of building an RV from a cargo trailer can be enjoyable. Mine was. I bought a 6x12 V-nose and converted it. The first thing I did was get a mess of cardboard and mocked up the interior. I used RV/Marine grade materials and made all the cabinets and fixtures. Took about 3 months off and on to finish. Then we pulled it all over the southeast. Was sorry to see it go when we decided we needed a little more room inside.

Have fun and good luck.

:E Thanks for your feedback. I have some software that allows me to move around objects on a floor plan. I also taped it out actual size on my garage floor and did walk thrus. Having the 3D model and renderings made probably saved me 1000's as I saw mistakes before they got built. 6x12 is a bit small... did you sleep standing up? I'm leaving the building up to people that have the professional skill. (I'd no sooner do my own brain surgery) :---)

Actually had a full size double bed, 3' of galley, 2'x2' shower, porta potty and a fair amount of storage. The v-nose added almost 2' more. We gave it up because we wanted inside eating during nasty weather.
I can see that a lot of your budget will go to labor; there was a fair amount of that in ours, but it was free ๐Ÿ™‚
I also believe that cargo trailers are inherently stronger than campers. You might want to rethink putting utilities in the walls like a house. Almost every wire, pipe, fitting, etc. was easily accessible in ours. They were hidden behind trim and panels that were all screwed on.
Good luck with your project.

Yes, in a project like this most of the $$$ does go to labor as the materials beyond the initial cargo trailer are generally inexpensive. Someone with good construction skills and lots of free time could probably build this for less than half of what I'm going to pay. I would agree with you that cargo trailers are strong and I want to build within that kind of structure. My intention to spray foam the exterior walls would make running cables and plumbing in them very difficult to service and would compromise the integrity of the insulation. And by leaving the exterior walls intact I could always make interior design modifications without having to cut into them. Thanks again for your feedback. Your build inspires me!