Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Receiver Adapter for Bikes

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
All-

Have any of you used a hitch adapter for a bike rack? This adapter would mount to your rear bumper of your camper.

I realize the rear bumper of rv's isnt very strong so would this work? My rv is a 28dsbh
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
33 REPLIES 33

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I took a Class 3 hitch from a pickup truck, Cut off the ends, welded angle brackets on and U bolted to the rear bumper of a Cherokee 32B trailer. I thought the bumper was strong enough. It was but the welds holding it to the frame were not. Back to the drawing board. Welded extra straps on top of bumper to frame and welded gussets from frame to bottom of bumper.

No issues since then.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. I saw a rack that mounts right behind the LP tank last weekend while camping. It looked pretty solid but it prices out around $300.00.

My unit is jayco Whitehawk 28dsbh, 2015 model.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Do not do it!!! As you mentioned and sound concerned with, the bumper is not strong enough at all to support a bike rack.

You have a '15 Jayco? Is there a tab on the bottom of the frame behind the rear scissor jacks on each side? Look in my mods link for the optional Jayco rear cargo receiver hitch we added to our 32. It bolts on to the frame mounted tabs, and is pretty solid.

Even still, make sure you get a good bike rack. Some are rated for use on the rear of a rv. I also use one of the anti-rattle kits to keep our bike rack from moving in the receiver hitch.

Just looked up your model. Didn't realize it was a Whitehawk at first. Jayco unfortunately does not list the optional rear hitch like what we added.

I would suggest finding a local welder and talk to them about adding a frame mounted hitch. They may even just reinforce a bumper mount hitch so it is also tied into the frame. A buddy had that done. The welder made the bumper mount into a "T" that extended toward the front a foot or two, then tied into the frame on each side. No pics and they have a different trailer now.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We have one on our RV but we checked the mounts on the bumper and they go directly to the frame and are welded and bolted with rather thick steel.

You should see how your bumper is mounted first and then see also how thick your bumper it's self is as well.

We use our bumper because it is designed this way.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system