cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you get toasted?

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Followed the 12volt coffee maker thread and thought, "Hmmm - I wonder what they eat with their coffee?.... possibly toast?"

So how do most of you make toast?

I carried a cheap electric toaster, but always resented the space it took up in the cabinet. Plus we boon dock or Wally dock 1/2 the time and it was no good.

Tried toasting in a cast iron skillet using butter- mostly burned it and tasted very dry. Plus we aren't a "butter & jelly" family. Buttered is buttered and jelly is jelly - no butter allowed on the jelly toast. And I only carry cast iron if we need it for a recipe. So it was a lot of weight for a piece of toast.

Tried toasting it with a Coleman stove top camping toaster. Dried and burned. Plus the Coleman never did burn off all the stink - it always set the smoke alarm off no matter how low I set the burner.

Tried a DIY stove top toaster using a large tin can and some wire to suspend the toast over burner - dry and scorched. Argh, I just want some toast!

I finally found a way that worked. I use the GSI camping toaster.

Works quickly (1min per side) and it doesn't come our dry or burned. Folds flat and small. I like it.

Edit: I am gluten intolerant so having a way to heat/toast the GF bread and bagels I eat is a must! They have improved the flavor over the past 10 years, but GF bread can still get really dry and needs some help to make it taste decent IMHO.
38 REPLIES 38

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I walk to the fridge, reach in, select item, go sit down. This process must be repeated approx. 6-7 times before my bread begins to turn to toast.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
OBXcamper wrote:
I use one of these, it's also a good way to test the smoke alarm. ๐Ÿ˜‰

X2 (for both reasons) ๐Ÿ™‚

Only problem I have with this is it isn't that great for making a single piece of toast. You need to make 4 slices to trap enough heat to do the toasting.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We use a $9.99 2 slice bagel size toaster. We apparently have more storage area than we know what to do with.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these, it's also a good way to test the smoke alarm. ๐Ÿ˜‰

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
About 6 Vodka Tonics.:S

WOW! The beauty of being a light weight, I'm there way before 6.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
About 6 Vodka Tonics.:S
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just use the TC oven.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We don't prepare normal toast, but I will throw some buttered english muffins with garlic on the BBQ after I take off the BBQ chicken. Put the bottoms on the grill first - melts the butter and browns the bottom. Turn them over and here comes the flair ups from drips and soon the toasted muffins are ready to go. Ah yes.

BTW, While dry camping in our 5er, our eating habits are different then while at home.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
The stainless steel mesh on the bottom is the key to this toaster. It distributes the heat evenly and quickly.