cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long to recharge battery from shorepower?

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The few times I have camped without electricity I have left before the battery was exhausted (two days) or I jumped it from the truck for 15 to 20 minutes to get through a third day and into the fourth.

Of course on the drive home the battery was charged though the 7 pin plug.

My question is, if I bought a small 700 watt generator or could plug into shore power for a short period of time, how long does it take my three stage WFCO charger to bring the battery back to full charge?

I see 45 watt solar chargers that could be used also.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
20 REPLIES 20

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
3 year old batteries can fail. If not, I would consider a second battery.
Brian

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is from Progressive Dynamics states in the brochures on how long it takes to charge a single deep cycle battery using a charger with a DC current output from 17A to 20A DC current.

"Progressive Dynamics ran this test on the amount of time it took a PD9155 (55-amp) converter/charger set to three different output voltages to recharge a 125 AH (Amp Hour) battery after it was fully discharged to 10.5-volts.
14.4-VOLTS (Boost Mode) โ€“ Returned the battery to 90% of full charge in approximately 3-hours. The battery reached full charge in approximately 11 hours.

13.6-VOLTS (Normal Mode) โ€“ Required 40-hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 78-hours to reach full charge.

13.2-VOLTS (Storage Mode) โ€“ Required 60-hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 100-hours to reach full charge."

This is based on having 17-20AMPS DC current available for each battery in your battery bank... NOTE That Progressive Dynamics doesn't even list using DC Charge Voltages around the 12.0VC range as this would take alot more than 100 hours to achieve a 90% or 100% charge state.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
In greater detail, I have a three year old type 27 battery. It is rated about 100 amp-hours. Kind of standard issue with a 25 ft. TT.

In the past we have found it will last about 2 days, since we only use it for our LED lights, water pump and of course all the phantom loads. All our other needs can be met with the propane.

As I stated, the only time I needed a extra day or so, I just ran a set of jumper cables from the truck to the battery and let is charge for about 20 minutes. Crude but effective. ๐Ÿ™‚

We thought we would try a bit more non-electric camping, to see if we really wanted to do it or to take advantage of a greater selection of camp grounds.

I would rather not use my truck to charge the battery it seem like a lot of over kill so I though a small generator or solar unit might do the job.

At this point whether my battery is at full charge or near full charge makes little difference, just so it has the juice to power the pump and LED lamps for a few days.

We spent years tent and canoe camping so our TT is basically a tin Tipi for convenient sleeping and cooking.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
"Full charge" is a long slow process. Using the small genny your talking about to charge will likely work, but it will get you enough to keep you going, but understand that a genny that small can not do anything else but run the charger. To put this in perspective for you, the size genny your looking at cannot run a normal household coffeemaker. Most of them are around 900 watts.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A low battery on WFCO to full? 24 to 48 hours. Initially strong but just a trickle voltage so the amps taper fast. Could still overload the 700w during initial charge. 700w is good for maybe 25 to 30 amps into the battery if you get the right converter or charger.

45w solar? Going to be high price per watt and not provide much except for storage. Need to be 200+ watts for better value and actually produce usable power.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
My question is, if I bought a small 700 watt generator or could plug into shore power for a short period of time, how long does it take my three stage WFCO charger to bring the battery back to full charge?

A WFCO probably never will as rarely does anyone report their WFCO capable of it's advertised 14.4 volt bulk charge rate. I'd be one - turned mine off permanently and replaced it with a stand alone charger that does do a 14.4 bulk charge.

How long? Well, how many batteries, what capacity, how depleted, etc, etc, etc? Until you provide those answers no one can really answer your question.

Don't waste your time with such a small solar system as just 45 watts ... useful perhaps for maintaining a single battery while the trailer is in storage but little else.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380