cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of you winter camp? Suggestions for winter camping?

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

We're a couple with no kids. Own a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2305 we bought summer of last year. The problem with owning a boat and a camper is that we have no winter hobbies. Well, except if we go winter camping! It won't be crowded and we can try picking up snowshowing if there's enough snow.

So, the Rockwood is definitely made as a three season camper. That said, with the plywood/fiberglass/styrofoam sandwich they make it out of, it's quite well insulated. A space heater can keep up all on its own in the 40's. We've currently camped down to about 27 ยฐF at night or so. Biggest issue was condensation on the windows.

The DW's requirements were that we have full use of the onboard plumbing if we winter camp, so yesterday I just installed heating pads on all three tanks, waste pipe lines, and gate valves. Within the next couple weeks I'll go back to connect all the wiring and put heat wire on the freshwater line.

So, assume we have:
  • Insulation and/or window film to cut down on window condensation
  • Exterior plumbing protected by heaters
  • Dehumidifier to get rid of humidity and avoid wall/window condensation
  • DIY air/air heat exchanger like the one make by RickW on this forum in 2012 for fresh air
  • 30 amp electric service with a Honda 2200 as backup in case of power loss

What else should we consider for the camper, or suggestions for winter camping in general?
Formerly a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, burned in a barn fire. Looking at replacements.
15 REPLIES 15

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
While you are waiting search this Forum for `winter camping' and read on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)