cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine vinyl floor backing type

7upman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Kodiak 195 hybrid trailer. I've had to do some work to the floor after it got wet, and in the bathroom I'm going to be putting down an extra layer of plywood. I'd like to glue the original vinyl flooring down to the plywood, but I don't know what the correct type of adhesive to use is - "felt backed" or just vinyl, as I'm not sure how to tell which is which. The Kodiak literature talks about "Armstrong residential vinyl flooring", which doesn't really help a whole lot. Does anyone know what type of backing it is?
2006 Kodiak 195 (Hybrid)
1999 Viking Saga 1906 (Pop-Up)
3 REPLIES 3

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
We prefer flooring type that can "float", not glued at all. Reason is temp ranges a RV is exposed to, floating material can expand and contract without buckling. Just our choice.

OR CRACKING!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer flooring type that can "float", not glued at all. Reason is temp ranges a RV is exposed to, floating material can expand and contract without buckling. Just our choice.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

millerak49
Explorer
Explorer
felt backing is like really heavy paper, use armstrong s235 adhesive. this was on most residential vinyl in 2006. vinyl backing will be more like plastic and use s599 adhesive.