cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to REMOVE brake drum races using a shop press?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all--

I wanted to see if anyone has a method for removing brake drum/hub bearing races from trailer brake drums using a simple shop press.

I know there are kits that use machined alum discs of various sizes to install races and seals (either with a hammer, press, and air hammer) but have never seen how to remove them using a shop press.

I know how to remove races using a brass drift and hammer. You must access race at an angle, as the race can not be hit vertically with the drift. This is what makes using a press a challenge.

So.....how can races be removed from brake drums using a shop press?

Maybe it's so simple, I can't see it or think of it!!!

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
19 REPLIES 19

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:

The artist missed the fact the shape of hub will not let anything vertical reach the race. Driving them out, always working at angle.
OP, you might cut a bar the right length to lay on the race, then push the center.
Big races, with alloy hubs, where I fear the impact might distort the hub, I have just ran a bead in center of face. The weld will pull the race, let it just slide out.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

What did that bearing race removal bushing come from?

Custom made or ???
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
As an owner of a 30 ton press, I woudn't bother. I am sure I could rig something up, but it would be much easier and faster to just hammer them out with a drift

Yep you're tossing them anyway beat them out
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner of a 30 ton press, I woudn't bother. I am sure I could rig something up, but it would be much easier and faster to just hammer them out with a drift
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW