cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

howbcold is too cold on tenting?

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
I popped up my camper new years day to do some upgrading on the interior. The problem is it started to rain and we all know how that goes. Now the problem is its supposed to get down to single digits and not above freezing for a couple of days with some rain possible. Will my tenting be ok in weather this cold? We have camped in that weather before, but had heat.
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw
8 REPLIES 8

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
Got it down and under the carport. Thanks again
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
I should be able to put it down tommorow. It's going into the fourties with full sun. I know it sounds crazy but in Alabama its going to get real cold to us. It's going down to 7 degrees here on Sunday and Monday night and for us that's real cold.
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

Serenlyretired
Explorer
Explorer
For Me Any thing under 40 at night is too cold & that's with heat.

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I really really mean it.
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We camped with our PUP in snowy weather for several years and did not have any problems with the canvas-tenting. We did have a heater in the camper and I'm sure that helped. However, many times I'd beat the snow off the bed ends from the inside. Still, never had any problems.

If you pack up and your wet, be sure to unpack in a garage and let it thaw out so it can dry out.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Check your manual. Its been a lot of years since we owned a PUP, but I recall a blurb saying that it wasn't recommended to use the unit in sub zero temps. But you aren't talking about sub zero. We used ours in temps as cold as 25 in early November. I think you'll be fine.

rvten wrote:
They tent in the Arctic and Antarctic.

With tenting made for that kind of weather. PUPS have entirely different type of tenting.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
They tent in the Arctic and Antarctic.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, it should be fine, if you don't put it up (or down) if it is cold out. Any plastic, that is on a fold, might crack if moved (folded). Just letting things set should be OK.

If down now, you should wait 'tell things warm up enough and put it back up to dry things out.

If the camper is still set up. Wait until there is some snow/ice on it, then put on some summer clothes, set up for summer camping (chairs/toys/etc) and take a picture. Say you're enjoying all this global warming.