cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 15K to spend on a tow vehicle. I need help!

slabm7
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I've been towing our 29ft TT for the last few years with my F150. I don't win any races but it has managed. It was an 04, about 200K miles on it. It's been a rock solid truck but almost stranded us the other day so it's time to look for something different.

I have about 15k cash to spend. I don't want to finance anything. The truck will probably only go about 10K miles/year. With half of that having our TT behind it. I have a work truck so it would rarely move. I want a 3/4 ton just to make towing a bit easier.

So I'm asking you pros, In my price range I'm finding 2005-2008 diesels with anywhere from 100K miles to 200K miles. And I'm finding 2008-2011 gassers with 150K+ miles on them. I've spent hours looking at trucks and can't decide.

I need some opinions from the pros. What would you do?

Thanks
33 REPLIES 33

slabm7
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
You seem to be happy with the 300 HP 5.4L gas engine, so why not step up to the F-250 with the same engine?

Because it will be parked so much, fuel MPG is not all that important, and the V10 is another option that will win the races, but as you said if you are patient, the extra 50 HP is really not a huge deal breaker.

Are you looking for a supercab or crewcab or regular cab? They hardly make any regular cabs anymore. . .

The engines are lasting 200,000 - 250,000 miles these days. With the economy in the dumps from 2007 - 2009, there would be less trucks of those model years, as they did not sell well during 07 - 09.

You can look at $18,000 trucks and explain this is all it is really worth. . And you can sell the 04 truck for something. .

Good luck!

Fred.

Thanks! Exactly the type of opinions I'm looking for. I have 2 young kids so I would like a crew cab. I don't mind the 5.4L. It does feel a little rung out with 7000lbs behind it but a 250 might be different. I can find the odd 250 with the 6.2 but the bodies are usually in terrible shape. I'll check out a 250 5.4L. Thanks!

slabm7
Explorer
Explorer
jakebank wrote:
Save more or finance the difference. $15k is a tough spot.

I appreciate the reply but I don't want to finance and need a tow vehicle in the next 2-3 weeks. Thanks

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You seem to be happy with the 300 HP 5.4L gas engine, so why not step up to the F-250 with the same engine?

Because it will be parked so much, fuel MPG is not all that important, and the V10 is another option that will win the races, but as you said if you are patient, the extra 50 HP is really not a huge deal breaker.

Are you looking for a supercab or crewcab or regular cab? They hardly make any regular cabs anymore. . .

The engines are lasting 200,000 - 250,000 miles these days. With the economy in the dumps from 2007 - 2009, there would be less trucks of those model years, as they did not sell well during 07 - 09.

You can look at $18,000 trucks and explain this is all it is really worth. . And you can sell the 04 truck for something. .

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

jakebank
Explorer
Explorer
Save more or finance the difference. $15k is a tough spot.