cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

i need new tires

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
15 inch towmax on a sprinter, I know its over due for tires, maxxis seems to be highly recommended, any others?
41 REPLIES 41

westend
Explorer
Explorer

Ummm... Have you actually read the reviews?
I have. 18 reviews. 9 positive, and 9 negative.
Not a very good ratio to be sure. There is NO mention of any golf cart tires in any review.
The longest anyone has had any of the tires is 3 years, (well within the 5 year window you state) and at least one of the bad reviews specifically states that these are the "new design" tires.

I see no mention of anyone reviewing the tire that didn't actully purchase it.

Just because someone comes on the forum and Says something is not right with a review does not "discredit" it in my book. I actually read things and make up my own mind on that.

I don't know if we are all looking at the same reviews. From the Amazon page originally linked to, reviewer "76 Chevy"--"I see these particular tires are made in China. I doubt I will buy any" Also from the same reviewer, " Before this I was looking at tires on our Cushman carts at work." I guess we can all weight the reviews but I find a lot of these Amazon reviews to be more just belly-aching. This from a user that doesn't have a problem with the actual product," But after all, it's just another junk Chinese trailer tire."
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just because someone comes on the forum and Says something is not right with a review does not "discredit" it in my book.

If it is on the interweb then it must be true. :B

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:

Hear, hear.

+1 :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
Why do you guys just hit "quote" and then leave the whole quote without doing any editing? It is very tiresome having to scroll down almost the whole page just to read a reply.

Please learn to edit your posts (or take the small amount of time required) and delete all but the quote you are replying to.
Thanks.
Barney

Hear, hear.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why do you guys just hit "quote" and then leave the whole quote without doing any editing? It is very tiresome having to scroll down almost the whole page just to read a reply.

Please learn to edit your posts (or take the small amount of time required) and delete all but the quote you are replying to.

I asked this same question earlier here but evidently it didn't do any good.:R
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
westend wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
westend wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
Amazon reviews on the new Carlisle tires.
If there was ever a question about online reviews, this is the place marker for what's wrong with them. Some of these reviewers didn't even own the tire. One reviewer based his rating on golf cart tires.

FWIW, I put on Carlisle Trail RH Load D 15" a few years ago. Low miles but they are doing well.

I wasn't stating anything negative. I only posted a link to the Amazon page. I was looking there to get an idea of price actually. People can take reviews for what they're worth. I wasn't expecting them to be that bad. I would still consider them simply because of the speed rating wiggle room though.

Understood, no foul on your part. It is just about the worst collection of reviews on a product I've seen. Stuff like this:"I see these particular tires are made in China. I doubt I will buy any. " (from a reviewer giving two stars)
This is what happens once you earn a bad reputation... Maybe these new tires are OK... But they are made by the same company that for years told us how great their junk tires were... I bought a few sets, and had the same poor performance that many others had.

I will let the "new crop" of buyers experiment to see if they are now telling the truth.
No more money from me.

The new Carlisle "RH" has been out for at least five years with many accumulated miles with NO ISSUES! There is no experimentation needed. Just attitude adjustments!
My attitude was adjusted as my wallet got thinner buying their previous junk... I see no reason to support them in their new endeavors.
Obviously, I am not alone. That is why they are getting bad reviews.
Once a bad reputation is EARNED, it is very hard to make it go away.

Please link where there are MULTIPLE bad reviews on THE NEW "RH" tire. If you don't wish to support them based on their PAST HISTORY that is your choice. However, their new tire isn't getting bad reviews. As I said...if you can find them-please link them. BTW-the reviews would have to be pretty recent to make sure we are talking about the NEW TIRE.

A couple of pages back you said this>

CKNSLS wrote:
The new Carlisle "RH" has been out for at least five years with many accumulated miles with NO ISSUES! There is no experimentation needed. Just attitude adjustments!

Is 5 years pretty recent?

BTW, the oldest review is from 2014... Well after you claim the new tire made it's debut.

Those Amazon reviews have already been discredited.

The poster "Westend"
said-If there was ever a question about online reviews, this is the place marker for what's wrong with them. Some of these reviewers didn't even own the tire. One reviewer based his rating on golf cart tires. The tires would have been purchased WELL BEFORE the review date.

One poster said-the tires had dry rot-well-any tire regardless of who makes it will have dry rot given the right (or wrong) storage conditions that trailer tire get.

Bottom line-when you bash the tires come up with better negative reviews than the ones on Amazon.

That's what wrong with his forum-more of the same over and over again! The post counts keeps dwindling.

Ummm... Have you actually read the reviews?
I have. 18 reviews. 9 positive, and 9 negative.
Not a very good ratio to be sure. There is NO mention of any golf cart tires in any review.
The longest anyone has had any of the tires is 3 years, (well within the 5 year window you state) and at least one of the bad reviews specifically states that these are the "new design" tires.

I see no mention of anyone reviewing the tire that didn't actully purchase it.

Just because someone comes on the forum and Says something is not right with a review does not "discredit" it in my book. I actually read things and make up my own mind on that.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
westend wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
westend wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
If there was ever a question about online reviews, this is the place marker for what's wrong with them. Some of these reviewers didn't even own the tire. One reviewer based his rating on golf cart tires.

FWIW, I put on Carlisle Trail RH Load D 15" a few years ago. Low miles but they are doing well.

I wasn't stating anything negative. I only posted a link to the Amazon page. I was looking there to get an idea of price actually. People can take reviews for what they're worth. I wasn't expecting them to be that bad. I would still consider them simply because of the speed rating wiggle room though.

Understood, no foul on your part. It is just about the worst collection of reviews on a product I've seen. Stuff like this:"I see these particular tires are made in China. I doubt I will buy any. " (from a reviewer giving two stars)
This is what happens once you earn a bad reputation... Maybe these new tires are OK... But they are made by the same company that for years told us how great their junk tires were... I bought a few sets, and had the same poor performance that many others had.

I will let the "new crop" of buyers experiment to see if they are now telling the truth.
No more money from me.

My attitude was adjusted as my wallet got thinner buying their previous junk... I see no reason to support them in their new endeavors.

Please link where there are MULTIPLE bad reviews on THE NEW "RH" tire. If you don't wish to support them based on their PAST HISTORY that is your choice. However, their new tire isn't getting bad reviews. As I said...if you can find them-please link them. BTW-the reviews would have to be pretty recent to make sure we are talking about the NEW TIRE.

CKNSLS wrote:

BTW, the oldest review is from 2014... Well after you claim the new tire made it's debut.

Those Amazon reviews have already been discredited.

The poster "Westend"
said-If there was ever a question about online reviews, this is the place marker for what's wrong with them. Some of these reviewers didn't even own the tire. One reviewer based his rating on golf cart tires. The tires would have been purchased WELL BEFORE the review date.

One poster said-the tires had dry rot-well-any tire regardless of who makes it will have dry rot given the right (or wrong) storage conditions that trailer tire get.

Bottom line-when you bash the tires come up with better negative reviews than the ones on Amazon.

That's what wrong with his forum-more of the same over and over again! The post counts keeps dwindling.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I have Kenda "Loadstar" tires on my 2000 lb Prowler tt. I got the bias ply tires and bought from "recstuff.com" with rims, mounted for free and shipped to my door. They have been on for a year and a half and so far I'm happy. A couple of local camping trips and a round trip from NY to Illinois (900 miles and change each way). Probably about 2500 miles on these tires and they look like new and show little wear.
My only complaint is that recstuff seems to use inferior valve stems, I had to replace them after 1 year due to cracking.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
westend wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
westend wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:

No more money from me.

CKNSLS wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
westend wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
westend wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:

No more money from me.

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
I had a set of Maxxis 225/75/15E on a 5th wheel. The only complaint I have, is that one had a broken belt, and I put my spare on and came home. I had bought the tires on line. Liked to have never got it warranted. Finally called Discount tire direct, where I purchased them, and they were able to get it warranted, after I sent them several pix. It was on the left front position, so I was pretty sure I had not curbed it.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:

I bought a set of the Carlisle RH tires. So far, they've been great. They tow well, and seem very rugged. Time will tell though.

Good deal! Those amazon reviews appear worthless. I like the availability of the Carlisle RH. I had to order the Maxxis.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Greenball tow max tires from Costco. Had them for a few years, no problem. I did go up a range to E when I put them on. Costco had to order them in, but I have been pleased with the performance.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have ST205/75R14C Maxxis on my trailer. The trailer has a 4995# GVWR. I put the Maxxis on in August of 2013. I've put over 15,000 miles on them so far, and they are still going strong. The 15K miles includes a 7,900+ mile coast to coast adventure.

When I replace these tires, I would not hesitate to replace with Maxxis again. That said, I would put the new style Carlisle RH tires on the trailer, if they would be less expensive than a set of Maxxis, and if they have a higher than 65 mph speed rating.

I would still pull the trailer no faster than 65, but I wouldn't mind having some cushion at the top speed end.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch