cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want LED tail-lights!

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
On the trip my wife and I just took I found during one of our stops along the way that one of my tail-light lenses had fallen off. ๐Ÿ˜ž I went to an RV store in Sioux Falls, SD and found a replacement that snapped right on, but the whole ordeal got me noticing tail-lights on this trip and how the LED tail-lights are SO much brighter and easier to see.

So, I started searching AMAZON.COM and while I found several to choose from, I just wasn't satisfied. I would like to hear from those of you who have purchased LED tail-lights and if you would be so kind to also give me a review. Did they live up to the hype? Would you buy them again? That sort of thing. THANKS in advance!

Paul
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
18 REPLIES 18

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

I've heard of exhaust testing but never testing the lights.

Yeah, LED are easy to pick out once you know what you are looking for but other than asking to see a sticker or sales receipt that says they are DOT approved, I really doubt the average inspector could pick out the color wavelength pattern without some expensive tools. I guess it could happen but not something I would be overly concerned with.

I'm very familiar with the LED light patterns having gone thru testing and updated specs for LED traffic signals. It's really easy to put out a red LED that will absolutely blind you and still use negligible wattage.

Well the point being made is a very valid one when your state has inspection requirements and they sure will FAIL you here in Va for non DOT approved lights and even LED replacement bulbs. This is one reason why some LED lights/bulbs are so much cheaper than others ... it's that DOT issue.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Vinman02
Explorer
Explorer

Honestly, I'm shocked that no one has caught on to the biggest advantage to LED Brake Lights and made them standard on all new vehicles. When you apply power to an incandescent bulb, it actually takes about 0.5 seconds to heat up enough to generate visible light. LED bulbs usually are under 0.05 seconds. That means the guy behind you gets almost an extra 1/2 second to react when you hit the brakes.

The result is near misses become non-events and serious crashes may become fender benders.

I remember reading an article when LED's first started to become popular and the article stated that while driving 60 mph, the difference in time it takes for a traditional incandescant light to light up versus an LED equivalent equates to 15 feet traveled. Thats quite an improvement is stopping distance in my opinion.
2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Cummins
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y
Honda EU3000i

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Just be mindful that any after market DOT Safety lights additions must be DOT APPROVED type. This should have a DOT number stamped into the lens to identify if it is DOT approved...

Ran into this alot back in my off-road trucking and Jeep days... You purchase the fancy new items and install them only to have to remove them when it becomes inspection time.

Just be sure what you are purchasing is DOT Approved in your state.

There is another issue with LED LIGHTS causing RFI interference with some electronic/radio/TV items... Being SAFETY lights probably won't an issue with you but being a Ham radio guy I have pulled up behind big trucks with their LED lights on and my Ham radio would would start acting up... Also in my RV trailer that had one brand of regulated ceiling LED lights installed would blank out my HDTV and WX radio especially when I was using the OTA antenna every time I turned on the ceiling lights... I had to replace the LED lights for the non-regulated type to resolve this problem... Just something to think about haha...

Roy Ken

My fire dept one engine has a problem with RFI. Every time we key up the radio the main light bar goes out, when we let off the mic the bar comes back on. Could never find a fix for it.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
My Bargman panels have the DOT number molded into the lens. They were available as just the panel, or as the panel and the housing. There are dimensions supplied on the Bargman sight so you might be able to find a panel and housing that will approximate your existing tail lights if you cannot find a direct replacement. If you choose to replace just the bulbs, be sure to get one that matches the color of the lens. That way you will get the best light transmission through the lense.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Would the license plate bracket holder be wired into the tail-light? I've never done that sort of thing before.

And do most states require a lighted license plate bracket on an RV?
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
LeBout wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Got a lic. holder with light from fleabay for about $7.
Well worth it!!

Do you recall what kind of holder you bought? Got pictures? Link?

Not sure exactly which one it was but it was something like this: linky

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
westend wrote:
While it's good to get DOT approved lights, I've never had my tail lights inspected. Short of getting something that is just horribly and clearly wrong at a glance, I don't see it being an issue.

There are a lot of locations in the US where inspection is mandatory.

If inspection services operate your tail lights and can see the difference of lumens, you'll be getting a notice and replacing what you have.

LED tail lights have different diffusion characteristics than a filament bulb. I can usually spot a replacement LED/array and original lens from over 100' away.

I've heard of exhaust testing but never testing the lights.

Yeah, LED are easy to pick out once you know what you are looking for but other than asking to see a sticker or sales receipt that says they are DOT approved, I really doubt the average inspector could pick out the color wavelength pattern without some expensive tools. I guess it could happen but not something I would be overly concerned with.

I'm very familiar with the LED light patterns having gone thru testing and updated specs for LED traffic signals. It's really easy to put out a red LED that will absolutely blind you and still use negligible wattage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Drew510
Explorer
Explorer
LeBout wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Well worth it!!

The same website as the lights has them - HERE
Trailer: 2017 Heartland Mallard IDM29

TV: 2003 Chevy Suburban Quadrasteer 3/4 ton 6.0
Enhancements:
40k Aux transmission cooler
Black Bear Performance Tune
Power Stop brakes
Sumo Springs
Pioneer in-dash DVD with backup camera

westend
Explorer
Explorer
While it's good to get DOT approved lights, I've never had my tail lights inspected. Short of getting something that is just horribly and clearly wrong at a glance, I don't see it being an issue.

There are a lot of locations in the US where inspection is mandatory.

If inspection services operate your tail lights and can see the difference of lumens, you'll be getting a notice and replacing what you have.

LED tail lights have different diffusion characteristics than a filament bulb. I can usually spot a replacement LED/array and original lens from over 100' away.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Well worth it!!

Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The best thing about being DOT approved is that they will be the correct color and "look" correct when they light.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
RoyB wrote:
Just be mindful that any after market DOT Safety lights additions must be DOT APPROVED type. This should have a DOT number stamped into the lens to identify if it is DOT approved...

Ran into this alot back in my off-road trucking and Jeep days... You purchase the fancy new items and install them only to have to remove them when it becomes inspection time.

Honestly, I'm shocked that no one has caught on to the biggest advantage to LED Brake Lights and made them standard on all new vehicles. When you apply power to an incandescent bulb, it actually takes about 0.5 seconds to heat up enough to generate visible light. LED bulbs usually are under 0.05 seconds. That means the guy behind you gets almost an extra 1/2 second to react when you hit the brakes.

The result is near misses become non-events and serious crashes may become fender benders.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

There is another issue with LED LIGHTS causing RFI interference with some electronic/radio/TV items... Being SAFETY lights probably won't an issue with you but being a Ham radio guy I have pulled up behind big trucks with their LED lights on and my Ham radio would would start acting up... Also in my RV trailer that had one brand of regulated ceiling LED lights installed would blank out my HDTV and WX radio especially when I was using the OTA antenna every time I turned on the ceiling lights... I had to replace the LED lights for the non-regulated type to resolve this problem... Just something to think about haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone know if they make a panel insert for the lights in question! Ide like to have the entire lens lit up.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!