cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing new tail lights

Cajunguy71
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings, all. I'm new to the group and in need of a little assistance. I have a 1985 Terry Taurus and decided, since the original lens cap was broken, to switch to LED lights. I bought the lights and noticed they had three wires, brown, green, and white. The trailer however has has brown, 2 greens and two Whites. I tried I connected the wires, according to colors, and it acts sporadic at best. It was at one time only working when lights on the tow vehicle were on. Then once the brakes were pushed, goes out completely, and now does nothing at all. I checked the fuse and the grounding point on the frame. All seems well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Doug
16 REPLIES 16

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Are we talking about DC LEDS here?

Well I'm sure he wouldn't be stepping on the brake pedal to try his interior lights. I don't know of any trailers with AC tail lights.

Thats what I thought... For a while there.. I thought I was on a home electrical forum.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer

Well I'm sure he wouldn't be stepping on the brake pedal to try his interior lights. I don't know of any trailers with AC tail lights.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Often when switching to LEDS, the vehicle wiring needs to have the polarity reversed for the LEDs to work.

I've messed with hundreds of LEDs in my job. The above has never been the case.

LED lights for AC circuits are not polarity sensitive. LED lights for DC circuits usually are polarity sensitive. I have had to reverse the light bulb in a DC circuit to get it to work because of polarity.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Try asking the seller of the bulbs. They have a vested interest in making sure they work for you.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Just for clarification:
What is make and model of the replacement light assemblies? Major brands such as Bargman and Peterson quality is good. Wiring is straight forward.
A little work would be applying 12 volts DC to the trailer connector to the wires in question. Green wire with power applied at connector should turn on right lamp. Powering brown wire should turn on all clearance and tail lights.
Better then checking via TV as it could be wired different then normal TV wiring.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Cajunguy71 wrote:
Will try the polarity reversal when I get off work today. Will let you know how it turns out.

Polarity reversal on a tail light is not going to fix the problem.... it's going to create more problems.

A tail light / brake light is polarity sensitive.

On a tail light you have three wires:
Ground
Tail light
Brake / turn

You simply can't switch polarity and expect it to work when you have two positive connections and one ground connection.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Often when switching to LEDS, the vehicle wiring needs to have the polarity reversed for the LEDs to work.

LED lights for AC circuits are not polarity sensitive. LED lights for DC circuits usually are polarity sensitive. I have had to reverse the light bulb in a DC circuit to get it to work because of polarity.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Cajunguy71
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the input guys. Will try the polarity reversal when I get off work today. Will let you know how it turns out.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

It is quite common, and well known. LEDs are polarity specific.... Just go to LED sellers websites, and they often state this... The most common problem sellers have, is customers wanting to return perfectly fine LEDs that they think are defective.... But they just need to reverse the polarity.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Did mine on the MH a few years ago. Don't remember exactly which wire was witch but they did not match the existing wires from the old lights. I seem to recall that the black was the ground, not the white. Ended up just taking the light up to where the battery was to figure out which wire did what.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that incandescent bulbs don't care about polarity.... LEDS do. Often when switching to LEDS, the vehicle wiring needs to have the polarity reversed for the LEDs to work.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This may help!
Generic trailer wiring diagram
It shows right tail light feed rear clearance lights. However I doubt it on your rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, the second wire goes to tail light. The first ground may go to the area around the tongue where the umbilical cord connects to the trailer wiring. The white wires should be connected at that point to the TV cord.
Green in your right side light as three wires in my thinking. One to the front of the rig, one to the left side light. There would be three green wires connected together and three whites connected together.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow