cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco 23B no power 120v or 12v

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
Was outside and heard my proparm alarm going off in camper so figured I have a power issue. I do. Nothing works. Plugged in or off battery.

It was plugged in since sunday so the battery could charge and now I have no power anywhere although the battery meter shows 3 of 4.

Power cord to camper is good, fuses are good, and no breakers tripped.

Any direction on where to look? Thanks.
2011 Heartland 26FQB
27 REPLIES 27

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
12v. Is that possible with a 3 day no power camp?

My book shows this for the battery level indicator. My battery was down to the F and L a few times since I owned it for different reason. Loosing shore power or long no power camping.

C = charge at 12.7 volts
G = good at 12.1 volts
F = fair at 11.6 volts
L = low at 6.0 volts

I think I found the real issue. By the batter there were 3 black wires plus the positive battery lead wire nutted together. I took the tape off and one of them was loose. Redid the connection and all seems well now.

I haven't found that breaker yet.
2011 Heartland 26FQB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
tsduke03 wrote:
If you dry camp won't it be common to run a battery that low?
No. 12.0 is about as low as you want.
tsduke03 wrote:
Does none of the stuff that can run on 12v work with a dead battery or without a batter.
It might, if your converter does that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at my battery charge I'm starting to wonder if the battery isn't done. Not showing a full charge after 18+ hours.

So help a camper newby out. Does none of the stuff that can run on 12v work with a dead battery or without a batter. I guess I assumed everything would would when plugged into shore power battery or not.
2011 Heartland 26FQB

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
If you dry camp won't it be common to run a battery that low?
2011 Heartland 26FQB

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
If you remain connected to shorepower it "should" not be necessary do disconnect the battery. For those of us without access to 110vAC current between trips it's vital.

Assuming the built-in changer won't boil the battery dry without verifying it periodically can lead to battery destruction. I've killed too many batteries in my life to assume the charger remains in perfect condition. Don't assume. Check.

The tripped breaker is another example why the battery should be disconnected with you're not using or charging it. Batteries don't like to be discharged and 7.5v is dramatically deep discharged.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

exp19h
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue with my 19h jayco. It ended up being a loose wire at the battery. There should be a bunch of wires connected with a wire nut. Make sure all have good contact.

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
Will check it today. Got dark last night. Plus my battery should have a good charge this afternoon.
2011 Heartland 26FQB

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
tsduke03 wrote:
I opened the caps on the battery and the water was up to the bottom of each of the 6 holes in the plastic cover.

I don't disconnect my battery between trips. I plug it in between trips and keep the fridge running rather than move stuff in and out of the house.

Did you look for the breaker?? You can test it by disco from shore power and have a good battery connected and test the for ~ 12 volts from each terminal on the breaker to ground. If you have 12 volts on the battery side and not the other side it is tripped or fried. You can also test the resistance between the terminals with no battery connected with an OHM meter.
2007 Ford Expedition Limited w/Tow package & 3.73 Rear end
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy
2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_S wrote:
The battery must be disconnected between camping trips. A switch on the ground (negative) cable is the most effective.

Well maintained batteries should last many years. Leaving the trailer connected to shore power should maintain battery charge but can also "boil" the battery dry. Periodic checks of the electrolyte lever should be made. Remember dry plates are dead plates.

-- Chuck

You do not have to disco your batteries between trips, as Chuck states, if you are connected to shore power with a 3 stage charger in the convertor. Most convertors now have 3 stage chargers and will not "BOIL" the battery dry. I have been leaving my original batteries, since 2005, connected to shore power and they are still going strong. I have added a little distilled water a few times in the past 8 years.
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
I opened the caps on the battery and the water was up to the bottom of each of the 6 holes in the plastic cover.

I don't disconnect my battery between trips. I plug it in between trips and keep the fridge running rather than move stuff in and out of the house.
2011 Heartland 26FQB

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
The LP detector "low voltage" alarm is what you heard. The parasitic electrical loads on the battery (the LP detector and radio memory for starters) will kill a Group 24 battery is about 2 weeks. Faster if the battery is indifferently charged or old/damaged. The battery must be disconnected between camping trips. A switch on the ground (negative) cable is the most effective.

It's doubtful your battery will fully recover from 7.6v but it won't hurt to try.

Add enough distilled water to cover the plates. Dry plates are dead plates. Charge for 24 hours. Completely disconnect the battery and add distilled water to the fill marks. Let sit 24 hours and measure the voltage. 12.7 is fully charged. If not charge another 24 hours, disconnect and let sit 24 hours, and re-measure.

Well maintained batteries should last many years. Leaving the trailer connected to shore power should maintain battery charge but can also "boil" the battery dry. Periodic checks of the electrolyte lever should be made. Remember dry plates are dead plates.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
tsduke03 wrote:
I have a Jayco 23B. It's in the subject.

SORRY!!!:S

what Gaffer posted is usually a resettable breaker/fuse with a little black button on it to reset it.
usually is found along the trailer's A-frame, between the battery and the front of the trailer body.
usually happens when someone re-installs the battery and accidentally reverses the battery wires.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Look for an inline breaker off the positive side of the battery. May be next to the battery or under the camper etc. Some are self resetting but it may be fried or need to be reset.

Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco 23B. It's in the subject.
2011 Heartland 26FQB