cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kingsport (by Gulfstream) TT owners beware!

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Kingsport 288RLs (by Gulfstream Coach, Inc)
Recently, while cleaning the trailer, I discovered a soft spot in the roof just in front of the front vent (over the bedroom). There is no leak showing inside, so I assumed it was a pinhole leak that hadn't gotten bad enough yet to get through. I knew I had to open the membrane and repair the roof, which I did. Imagine my shock when I found a crescent had been cut into the OSB and then stapled and covered with metal tape!!!
I can't even begin to imagine what the purpose of this would have been. I'll attach photos to show you what I found. I called and emailed customer service at Gulfstream Coach but of course, I haven't gotten a reply. (No surprise on a 10 yer old trailer)
I am posting this to warn other Kingsport owners (and future owners) to be ware of this potential problem in your trailers.
After I cut the membrane, I discovered that there WAS NO LEAK! Now obviously I have to repair the roof and membrane. Probably just as well that I fix this thing, but it is extremely frustrating to have to fix some slipshod workmanship like this.

Frustrated and disgusted in Ontario Canada

OK, so I guess you can't upload images. Too bad :S

Here they are ... Thanks, treyster. I couldn't find how to post images here.

Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew
6 REPLIES 6

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
That really sounds like what happened. I never expected to get any response from the Gulfstream customer service, but they actually responded! :E
HE wanted pictures, so I forwarded those above to him. The response I got back was

"the plant your unit was manufactured in was closed during the 2012 model year โ€ฆ.โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆso I was unable to send to the manufacturing facility for review and or comment"

So ... basically what I suspected..... nothing.
It's all repaired now, and I'm confident it won't leak, (using 4" wide Eternabond tape, and lap seal. It's just frustrating as hell that I didn't have to cut the membrane at all!!!
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

Having worked at a trailer factory years ago, here is my take, or best guess as to what happened there.

The shop monkey.... oops,,I mean the highly skilled trained technician went to cut out the hole for the vent in the next truss opening.

These holes for the vents are cut out using a router. The guy on the roof hollers ROUTER! to warn others he is about to cut out a hole, so they can be clear to avoid injury. No joke, this is how they do it. He then touches the edge of the router to the roof on an angle and flattens it down, forcing the bit through the roof sheeting. He then runs it around the 14 X 14 framing.

So in his haste, he went to cut the hole on the wrong side of the truss. He moved the router in an arc to find the framing, and found none. Oh 4 letter word he exclaims as he realized his mistake.

He moves the router over to the other side of the truss and cuts the hole out. There, done. Now to hide the hole....
He grabs a staple gun and bangs off a bunch to "fix the cutout attempt. Then he grabs some metal tape, covers up his oops and sends it down the line for roof membrane to be installed. It gets covered up, the foreman doesn't know about it and nobody is any the wiser until years later some poor guy steps on it and thinks he has water damage.....

I can almost guarantee you that's what happened. And things like this are very common.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
OSB on the roof is pretty sad.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your TT is 11-12 years old. I'd be surprised if the manufacturer helped you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We've all seen poor workmanship in our trailers and motorhomes. I laugh at the stickers they put by the door reminding you the builders used certain quality standards. I just replied to another post about how the wiring on our brand new TT in 2012 was partially cut due to it being stretched over paneling under the sink.

I think you are doing the right thing....fix it yourself. And most likely don't count on any reimbursement from the manufacturer.

I do envy those that can rebuild an old TT or build a new one from scratch themselves....I could if I had the time....just too much else going on and it's easier to buy off a lot.

treyster
Explorer
Explorer
http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

Have you tried this link for posting pics? Upload to here then paste the link and your pic should show up.