cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Larger Campsites?

ragged_claws
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I just got our first TT (ECON 16RB). We've never camped in RV parks before but have done some tent camping and dry camping with a small pop-up camper on our old pick-up truck. I've been looking through the TT pic sticky and have seen a lot of great trailers and camp sites. Many of the full hook up RV sites seem to have very small/tight spaces however. Since my wife and I like a little elbow room between us and our fellow campers, we could use some guidance regarding camp site selection. Are camp sites that cater to the full hook up RV folks generally more cramped than the dry camp sites? Initially we would like something like boondocking (sp?) and a roomy dry site with maybe a dump station and some running water somewhere in the campground. Since we're new to trailer camping and not familiar with the nomenclature of camp site types, maybe you folks could lend a hand or point us to a place on the forums that might be better able to help with these kinds of questions.

Thanks,
Kim
29 REPLIES 29

ragged_claws
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks yet again for all of the helpful advice. The Google Earth idea is a good one (thanks VICTORY402). Since we live near Sacramento, CA, most of our camping will be in the Sierras. We would like to visit Bryce and Zion Canyons in Utah soon, as well. Since our TT is small (16'), we should be able to use a good variety of sites. The 10gal. black water tank will limit the amount of time between dump stations. I'll look into that Barker Tote, but even at an extra 10gal. of waste water we're looking at trying to manhandle 80lbs. I can carry extra water and propane in my truck, so the waste water is my only concern for extended boondocking.

Sorry to ramble on but I've got lots to learn.

Kim

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our experience has been “more conveniences, the less room”. There are some exceptions of course. Also, some older parks with electric and water but they are often a bit tight for bigger rigs.

A lot depends on where you are and when you are traveling. Currently we are traveling through North Dakotas and in some portions, camp space is at a premium because of the oil boom. Those camps we selected were State Parks with either no hookups or electric only.

Then we are in “camp and go mode” where we do not unhitch it make very little difference what the campground is like.

The Good Sam campground finder is an excellent place to start. A few phone calls and web searches usually produces what we want.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer state parks, especially electric only. They are huge sites, with power posts placed at the parking pads. We are talking 100ft deep and 50ft wide.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google Earth to determine elbo room.

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Many of our CA state parks offer a dump station and potable water. Get your self a "very quiet" generator or invest in a solar system and a Barker Tote-along and you can manage in those parks quite well with essentially full use of your trailer.

The only place I know that is full hookup, but offer a bit of elbow room is Camp Edison at Shaver Lake. You may want to look into it, reservations are bit antiquated but it's a great spot.

Other wise look at the Army Corp of Engineers (COE) parks. They often have sites with various levels of hookups and a bit more space. In CA these are often at Sierra Foot Hill reservoirs. A little to hot for our taste in the summer so we don't use them often.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
ragged claws - welcome to the Forum. As you've guessed by now there is no "hard & fast" way to determine which CG has the roomiest sites. I do agree with the reply to your post stating older CG's tend to have smaller sites. Compared to today, motorhomes and TT's were relatively rare; most of us in the mid-60's and early 70's were in pop-ups and tent trailers so parks dating from this time are going to be cramped. As to difference between private CG's and state parks/COE, etc. we've found cramped and roomy sites at both.

Sometimes "elbow room" can be a relative thing - we've been in a number of CG's what have lots of trees and shrubs between you and your neighbor and that is usually sufficient privacy for us.

It often is a matter of trial and error so keep track of the CG's you like. Good luck and safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Terms used are usually " FHU' or "full hookup", which does mean all three; "PH" or "partial hookups" usually means water/power. Sites with water or electric only will be so designated, though water only is rare.

Sites with no utilities at all are usually either unlabeled or designated as "drycamping".

Amenities like cable/wifi etc., if available, are usually listed too.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

ragged_claws
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of great info so far. Thanks for all of the replies. Is there a name for campsites with sewer/AC/water, and another name for campsites without sewer but with AC/water? And maybe another name for dry sites without anything but a dump station. I'm not trying to be overly obtuse here, but I'm a real newbie when it comes to TT camping. I'm assuming that a camp ground that advertises full hook-ups is saying that the sites have sewer/AC/water. I don't know what the other type of camp grounds would be called. I only have a 10 gal. black water tank so am not sure how long I can go without a dump station. Thanks for your patience.

Kim

P.S. My references to AC is meant to indicate electricity (alternating current) and not air conditioning.

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes I've found larger sites when I don't need sewer hookup. When installing sewer they stack them side by side, easier for the flow.;)
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a guy who had a small Toyota based motorhome in one of the larger sites. He says he reserves a site for his "30' motorhome" then shows up with his 20' RV, and has a slightly larger site. Sometimes they put him into a tent site, because his little RV will fit.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why anyone would settle for high density parking. Keep looking.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have found that most older, private parks are tighter than the newer ones. Also, generally we have found State parks to be more roomy in most cases. Some of the best parks we have found have been County, Military, some City, and most Corps of Engineer parks.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are at Mountain Views RV Park in Creede, CO which all sites are full hookups. The sites are about 30 feet wide by at least 50 feet long. Lots of room between RVs and room to park your vehicle/truck. Very nice and clean and a beautiful park.
http://www.mountainviewsrv.com/
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kim, Large roomy sites can be found in all Venues of camping....Of coarse Boondocking on Public land will almost guarantee elbow room, state parks and private campgrounds if chosen carefully will afford you some good sized sites with full hookups....as well....Check Out Campground reviews .com. Also private Bloggs often keep detailed Campground reviews.....check out Hitchitch.....and RV Dreams....

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
It's called "economy of scale": running utilities is expensive, so most places will place sites as close together as practical so as to make maximum use of every inch of water/power/sewer line. A fact of life, especially in smaller, private RV Parks. Other more "upscale" parks may have bigger sites, but be prepared to pay for them!

State Parks can in some cases be a little roomier, but even many of those are beginning to charge upfees for such "premium" sites.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien