cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Largest pop up available

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been looking at the Jayco, Starcraft, Rockwood and Palomino, and so far it appears that the Rockwood/Flagstaff high wall 29SC is currently the largest based n a 16 foot box. Is there any other brands that I might not be aware of that has a comparable size?
Thanks
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
26 REPLIES 26

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the largest pop-up trailer I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0WulksI0s

Of course it's a little pricy - $2.5m.

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Try doing a search of all Craigslist sites for "high wall pop up". I just tried it at http://www.onecraigs.com/ and came up with 57,000 hits. At least the first three pages were PUPs and not something else that matches the key words.

http://www.searchtempest.com/ seems to have some customizable search options, such as price range and distance from ZIP code. You might see options and something worth the drive.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
DAMN...even the prices are alot thru RV direct.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly what happened to me - making a compromise the first time that ended up costing me more money than if I had just gone the right way the first time. As is said, buy your "second" camper the first time (as in, buy now what you want to end up with).

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm torn between a big pop-up or a hybrid such as the Rockwood Roo 233s. Sadly, either of them will sit in my driveway most of the year but trying to plan for future use is a******shoot. I just don't want to make the wrong decision now and it end up costing me more $$ down the road by making a change as opposed to paying a little more now and have something that will be suitable for my family for many years to come.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
When I looked at the NADA Guide's price for mine when I bought it last year, average retail was just at $11,000. I paid $7,000. NADA is a start but don't let it box you into thinking you have to stay close to it on an offer.

Out of curiosity just now, my Sequoia has an average retail of $10,400. I wouldn't sell it now unless we're doing an even trade for a newer Avalon and I was taking most of my mods with me :C.

merczephyr
Explorer
Explorer
Considering theses large pups are quite a bit more expensive new, they are going to be more money used. Most were $16,000-18,000 when new. I know NADA still shows a retail value of $13,000+ for my 2009 Jayco 14HW. And because of the cost, they didn't sell as many, so fewer will be available used. The Avalon was the biggest pup built, followed closely by the Rockwood/Flagstaff model you mentioned. I really liked the Avalon, but couldn't afford one when I bought mine.

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
patperry2766 wrote:
I'm not opposed to used, and I have seen one or two of the big one available in my area but they are few and far between. Most currently available are the smaller sized ones and the few used larger ones are a little over priced. There is a 2009 Rockwood HW296 that they are asking $11,900 for...is that too much?

price a new one at rvdirect then you'll know

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, I paid $7k for a 2006 Fleetwood highwall, 14' box, no slide. It originally sold new for a little over $14k with an MSRP of $16k+.

I would say that the price you mention is more than I would settle on but still beats new pricing. Depending on the options, that's fairly in-line.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not opposed to used, and I have seen one or two of the big one available in my area but they are few and far between. Most currently available are the smaller sized ones and the few used larger ones are a little over priced. There is a 2009 Rockwood HW296 that they are asking $11,900 for...is that too much?

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you are looking at new only?

Somerset has the next evolution of the Fleetwood Niagara, 14 ft box high wall - http://somersetrv.com/campers/Niagara

For used there are a few older models that are quite large. Jayco had a tandem axle unit that was either 16' or 14' but I can't find it at the moment.

There's also the Coleman Avalon with a 16 ft box, 28 ft, 10 in. when opened - Quick Specs

Make sure you get the year(s) that it is as shown above.

The Rockwood HW296/Flagstaff HW29SC seems to be the reigning champion for size for new models, at 27 ft. 9 in. opened.

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailmanor