cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost Title

DAVMARINE1975
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 1984 Citation 30ft travel trailer. I am a newbie to the rv world. It's in very nice condition and the price was right. They said they lost the title no big deal just apply for duplicate but they didn't get a title. Anyway I've tried two different tag offices with two different stories. Whoever titled it last has to apply for duplicate no one knows who that is. I don't want to be stuck I want the blame thing. Anybody have any suggestions on getting a duplicate title? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. RV NEWBIE
38 REPLIES 38

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Might try an RV dealer to do a title search or at least verify the VIN is correct.
They may charge a few $$ but hopefully get you back on track.
Local police station may also know how to verify the trailer is not stolen.

DAVMARINE1975
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't find any other vin for the camper any suggestions on where to look?

DAVMARINE1975
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not giving up yet. I've been to two tag offices a couple more I can try. I checked the vin off the tongue of the trailer but can't get it to come up.

DAVMARINE1975
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bill of sale so I can get my money back but I really want it. I paid $1500 for the thing and it's in really nice condition.

DAVMARINE1975
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all the quick responces. Tag office is slang for county court clerks office. She said her dad traded a boat for the camper. He should of made the old man apply for duplicate it cost $11.00 I did that today on my 86 GMC High Sierra 1500. She said they just put it on there land and let the kids and friends camp out in it.

DAVMARINE1975
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all the quick responces. Tag office is slang for county court clerks office. She said her dad traded a boat for the camper.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
There's a lesson to be learned, never buy anything without a clear title in hand. You paid someone for a trailer that the seller still legally owns. Until the title is signed over to you and you apply for a new title in your name, that trailer will never belong to you. And nobody is going to give you a duplicate title if your name isn't on the title.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I see you live in TN. I'm pretty sure if you go to a county clerk's office and talk really nice, they can trace the title from the VIN. Not sure what you mean by "tag offices"--in TN that is handled by the county clerk. Maybe there is more than one office in your county.

But it may be that the owner has to apply for the duplicate. Surely the seller knows who owned it before. If the previous owner was deceased, there is a way for the seller to get a title.

If you wrote a check, put a hold on it ASAP. If you have a bill of sale, and the seller cannot provide you with a title, you can take the seller to court and get your money back.

Although.... you really should have checked on this with the county clerk's office beforehand.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
The owner has to apply, (in Fl. ) I do not know about other states, I know I bought one with a lost title from the second owner and was told no problem just take a bill of sale with me, I ended up scrapping the unit as I could not get a title.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game