cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lot of newer trailers have fewer windows. Why?

Blue_Warbler
Explorer
Explorer
We're shopping for a small used trailer to take off in. So far those in our price range are selling before we can get to them, but I'm noticing big differences in the pictures. We're seeing ranges from old trailers with windows on 3 sides of a dinette to newer one window on a side dinette and one or no windows across the end

We're wondering about the reasons for this trend and hoping for opinions on plusses and minuses.

Thanks for any input.
34 REPLIES 34

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
To increase profit margins!
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so this is a different direction, but if it's two of you, you want windows, and great build quality, consider this: A Lazy Daze custom built class C. They look old school, but extremely well built, far and away above anything else class c or otherwise.

Aircraft aluminum shell, riveted panels, top of the line build and appliances, legendary reliability of the Ford V10 E-450 chassis. I'm a trailer fan, but for the money, take a serious look at this compared to what you would get for similar money in a trailer. It'll be gone soon.

2001 Lazy Daze 26.5

Factory:
LazyDaze factory

Another ad with better pictures:
2001 LazyDaze 26.5 mid bath, OK
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
currently I have a hybrid that opens on both ends and unzips. That is a lot of scenery to look at much like a pop-up trailer. Many Rvs are like living in a cave.

Blue_Warbler
Explorer
Explorer
Lol. Thanks for all the good thoughts, and smiles. My own preference is for windows, sunshine, and views, but we won't/can't ride in the trailer and that does make a difference. The issue is strictly while being parked. We didn't realize about that front window problem, so that's good to know.

Long ago out west we always just pulled off in the wilderness somewhere. But now that it's so colorfully pointed out, it's obvious that the views travelling the east will all too often be right in the window of the unit parked alongside than out over a valley. And vice versa.

Cheaper construction is definitely sounding like the dominating cause, no surprise of course. But even if climate control, water tightness, weight advantages aren't driving this, responses make me wonder if these could be valid tradeoffs for many buyers, the same of course for more room for cabinets, MW, TV.

Phillyg, it's nice to hear you prefer fewer windows since price and weight,and tight market with few choices popping up only to be snatchd up by others, will drive our purchase. (We were still 10 minutes out today when a good one was sold to someone who lived closer.) Same for a cozy bed; that part actually sounds quite appealing. Given a choice, I'd definitely choose the end dinette Ppines mentions for relaxing while hubby fishes, tho.

FrankShore, that Lance 1575 is a thing of beauty. A nice middle between the old sunrooms and today's relative bunkers. Certainly no need to turn lights on in the afternoon.

I actually feel better about both old and new styles. No one's said all those windows were a big problem if we end up with one of those, and there are some advantages to fewer. Thanks again.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
sandstravels wrote:
Interesting responses. I think it has to do more with energy efficiency than anything. My all seasons Nash has far fewer windows than any unit I've owned previously.

For a typical trailer, energy efficiency is too far down on the list of priorities for builders and buyers to be a factor, unless like yourself, they seek out a decent manufacturer and want a quality 4 season unit. Windows are one of the highest dollar parts used in an RV, and detract from wall space to put hot buttons like extra cabinets, or useless interior decor items.
When we first got into the hobby, nearly two decades ago, I almost bought a travel trailer that had an amazing number of windows and still is unforgettable, all these years later. It was unfortunately too heavy and too worn out to pull the trigger on. It was an old sticks and tin build about 26' long. It had front living, mid-bath and a rear bed. The entire curb side had windows, roughly 30" square, running from front to back. There were seven or eight of them. The interior was light and airy, and much like a sun-porch, compared to some of these bunkers built today, with a handful of black tinted gun slits on each side. OTOH, there is a price to pay for all that poorly insulated glass. We later had a large Rockwood with a big slide. The slide had floor to ceiling windows on all three sides. Once it got to near freezing outside, sitting in the slide was like grabbing a chair and camping out in a walk-in cooler.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dont know why, but I've always preferred fewer windows.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a Lance 1575 Tons of windows and openness!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

sandstravels
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting responses. I think it has to do more with energy efficiency than anything. My all seasons Nash has far fewer windows than any unit I've owned previously.
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD, 4x4, CC, D/A
2015 Nash 23d

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Those annoying front windows have gone the way of the dodo bird, because they are almost guaranteed to eventually leak, and most people prefer not to have the morning sun searing their eyeballs while they try to sleep.

Myself, I never buy a unit with a front window because of the pressure and leak aspect of rain. Still less expensive for the builder to have less windows. Of course the price don't reflect that.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Those annoying front windows have gone the way of the dodo bird, because they are almost guaranteed to eventually leak, and most people prefer not to have the morning sun searing their eyeballs while they try to sleep.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cheaper to build has to be the right answer. Fewer headers, less framing, no holes to cut, no windows to install. Provides better insulation.

I had a 2005 vintage Nash. It had the old window in the front with a cover, a window in the back in the aft bathroom, windows over the kitchen, the dinette and 2 windows by the bed. I go to the outdoors partly for the scenery.

Few modern trailers have decent windows and it is a crying shame.
The one exception is the rear dinette configuration with the 3 windows. Several companies make one.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Cheaper to build actually.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
gbopp wrote:

If people would buy RV's with no windows, the manufacturers would build them with no windows. But, they probably wouldn't be any cheaper.

The would call it a custom option such as "Privacy Feature" and charge an extra 3 grand for it!
:B

Excellent point! Let's not give them any ideas..

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Easier to heat.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wish my Winnie had a front window.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad