cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maintenance tips for a newbie

Kimbrew81
Explorer
Explorer
So purchased my first HTT last week and curious what kind of Routine Maintenance does everyone do on a regular basis? I purchased an 04 HTT so just wanting to keep it in as good of shape as possible for a year or two before I take the plunge and buy a new one ๐Ÿ™‚
Me
My awesome wife
2 incredible daughters
and Luna the Wonder Dog
07 F150
04 Aerolite Cub 21TT
7 REPLIES 7

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Big things like the roof, caulking, tires, wheel bearings, etc were all on DH list. My job was mostly inside and I took plenty of time the morning we were breaking camp to clean thoroughly. And that did include those 15 minute jobs like tightening screws - or letting DH know, cleaning off smudgy spots, vacuuming upholstery giving the bathroom and kitchen a good cleaning. We used the sheet/blanket method and even if we were only camping over a weekend, I still stripped the sheets and they were washed and ready for the next trip. Also gave me time to go over the things we stored regularly in the pantry for any replacements. Absolutely agree to take care of the little things while they're still little.

When we sold our HTT to move to the TT, the couple bought it from pictures only and emails....lots of both. The last email was asking for pictures of the frig, inside and out and the freezer. Thought it was unusual, but ok. Their feeling was that if the frig or freezer was dirty or had mildew/mold spots the rest of the trailer likely hadn't been maintained as it should. I used the Clorox wipes to clean the seals and their little crevices regularly. Amazing how quickly they can get nasty. And defrost the frig when there is 1" or less frost build up. It doesn't drain like the frig, so you'll need to put a couple of towels inside, but it works much more effectively when the frost is not heavily built up. You don't have to unload the frig - assuming you're storing at home - but just shut the unit off, leave the frig door closed and everything will be fine. When you're done, just turn it back on and you're ready to go.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big believer in maint. Read this forum and see what falls apart and make your own check list to prevent problems.

Start by downloading every manual you can find for your components you have in your RV. Heaters, a/c, awning, axles, and anything else you can find.

Overall start by prioritizing what needs to be done or looked at and make your own checklist. If you don't know how to do something ask here, you might get an answer.

(Prioritizing in order of saving you money)

Unit must remain water tight. (roof, windows, vents, etc)

Platform the RV rides on (axles and bearings, tires and wheels and brakes)

Remember the goal is protecting your RV and not having to get your RV fixed with rates over $100.00 an hour by someone that could care less about your stuff. And many stories on here about people waiting for parts for a long, long time.

Which makes me do a lot of maint myself. After many years my maint list covers the basic's listed above and many extras like putting a couple of drops in door key ways every year. OK, so it drives my wife nuts sometimes.

I've only meet one other person that does as much as I do. We actually met a guy and found out he removes his elec sockets every other year and to make sure the screws are tight that hold the wire in place. He feels the bouncing down the road loosens them. He had a RV fire many years ago and he feels better after they are checked for tightness.

I bet I have maybe $500 in maint tools that I've bought over the years. Jack, torque wrench, hand tools, etc. The last being a $150.00 ladder to bring along in case elec awning gets stuck in deployed position or some trees need trimmed to fit into a spot.

Anyways that's my take.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Check the roof regularly. Repair anything suspicious. Even a very small leak can ruin a trailer. Did I mention to check the roof regularly. Check around all vents, and any other intrusion to be sure there are no cracks, etc. Oh, and check the roof regularly.

X2

Check roof after every returned camping trip, a must.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Check the roof regularly. Repair anything suspicious. Even a very small leak can ruin a trailer. Did I mention to check the roof regularly. Check around all vents, and any other intrusion to be sure there are no cracks, etc. Oh, and check the roof regularly.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it clean. Before returning home from every campout, clean it inside, put everything up, vacuum, sweep floors, clean toilet, wash sinks. Drain the water after every trip. Make sure water heater is turned off after every trip. Wash the outside a couple times a year.

As you are cleaning you will take notice if anything is beginning to fail or break. (like a a cabinet door not shutting right, or a corner of the carpet looking REAL bad Fix those very minor things immediately. Don't put them off, and the simpler the fix, the better. Simple becomes complex AND expensive if it is let to go. Once things begin to fail in an RV, it's a fast domino affect and before you know it, it's so overwhelming, the camper is in deplorable shape. Best prevention is to clean it every trip. This way, you spot problems immediately. Plus, you don't have to do it when you get home and the camper is always ready for the next trip out!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Check the roof for problems.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tires and pressure every trip, battery charged,water checked in battery.lights working wash. keep food out or mice willl be in. carry a roll of duck tape.