cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for a 60s/70s Trav'ler range (stove)

Elainiac
Explorer
Explorer
Hello there.

I have a 1967 Frolic Travel Trailer which I love. It has a 3 burner Trav'ler brand range in it that was working okay until a few months ago when the oven part stopped regulating the temperature and the little oven thermometer maxed out at over 500 degrees! Everything I have read suggests that I just need a "new" (or working) thermostat. The problem is that I can not get any appliance repair place to sell me this art because of the age of the oven and "liability". So for the last few months, we've just been using the stove part.

Fast forward to a month ago when I bought a 1972 Prowler with the intention of gutting it to turn it into a mobile office. It has a 4 burner Trav'ler range of the same size as the 3 burner one in my Frolic! (I like the 3 burner one because it gives you space to put the kettle/pot) and in a 17' trailer, we can use all the space we can get.

I am looking for some advice or pictures or a manual or something to help me figure out how to salvage the thermostat out of the 4 burner to repair the 3 burner range. I honestly don't even know what a thermostat in an oven looks like!

Thank you for your help in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '71 Starcraft with oven problems. From my searching, I found that the mercury based thermostat is no longer available, new. I plan to visit an RV boneyard and try to find a replacement. My range is a Traveler by Coleman, IIRC.

I'll check it in a few minutes when the rain stops and edit this post with the model #.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I think they were made by Ward & Son. Try and internet search under that name and your model#.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Reading this might help. Different model though.
www.roadworkplay.com/2013/12/replacing-our-magic-chef-r-v-oven-thermostat/
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends