cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need opinions about recaulking roof

shelbyj
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed that the caulking on the roof is starting to crack and has a few spots on the ends that has started to pull up. Wondering if I should just caulk over the old stuff (after properly prepping) or remove the old stuff amd start fresh.

Shelby
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26S
2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.4
Kent, Wa
17 REPLIES 17

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
shelbyj wrote:
I noticed that the caulking on the roof is starting to crack and has a few spots on the ends that has started to pull up. Wondering if I should just caulk over the old stuff (after properly prepping) or remove the old stuff amd start fresh.

I know a lot of folks say clean good and just add more, but IMO you will never get a clean surface down inside those cracks and thus will not have good adhesion there. Not positive what the actual caulk manufacturer's recommend re: existing caulking, but in general I believe then sealing a new fixture they want the caulk to go well onto the actual roof material so one could extend that to mean you would need to TOTALLY ENTOMB the existing caulk and then go somewhat onto virgin roof material to get a good new sealing job. All this is one reason I'm in the camp of REMOVE IT ALL and go the ETERNABOND route ONE TIME and FORGET ABOUT IT.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I'd prep the areas really well and wait for a sunny day (you're in WA) and re-caulk using Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant. The prep job is really important. I'd use mineral spirits and a good roughish bath rag (smaller than a hand towel) - prep the area, let it dry out really well, then caulk.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried going over the old stuff when I developed a leak. I just spent today removing the old and the new as the leak persisted. I think the water trapped under the old caulk was evaporating in the hot sun causing areas to not adhere correctly.
Today I removed all caulking and dried area thoroughly. Then I recaulked the area all fresh caulk. To early to tell if this will stop the leak.
While I own a MH and not a TT the principle is the same
Traveling with my best friend my wife!