cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Purchase Advice before I Buy

alaska_av8r
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old hunting camper that I rebuilt and posted a few questions on here in the past. Now I find myself looking for something a bit nicer to use not only in hunting season but also for the family to use for other camping trips. I will be pulling it with Chevy 2500.

I "think" I want something in the 30' range with slide and bumper pull, maybe fiberglass, looking for used one for sure. Would like to stay below $10k. Don't think I want a gooseneck, not too fond of having a receiver in my bed.

The truth is I'm clueless. I don't know what would qualify as a good camper or what to stay away from......help
11 REPLIES 11

alaska_av8r
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks boxer, had time to look at bathroom light and fan, turned out to be corroded connectors on both, working great now. The bedroom window showed up a slight leak in this flood this evening, thinking I'll pull it reseal and rebed it, otherwise all good so fat.

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2011 passport,good trailer no issues. The bathroom light and fan had wall switches so you could leave the unit switches on. Might look there first. Happy camping and welcome back.

alaska_av8r
Explorer
Explorer
Well I found a 2008 keystone passport ultralight 285RL that has been taken care of and brought it home today. Only things found so far is bathroom lights aren't working (not the bulbs) and bath vent fan inop. Also stereo is not working, it appears to have power and is stuck on AM...lol

I'll start going thru it more in detail over the next few days so I'm sure I'll have more questions.

alaska_av8r
Explorer
Explorer
travel thank you for a very informative repsonse, that gives me a lot to think about.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not having access to everything normally used with the slides in is an instant deal breaker for us even if it's at half the price. Would be even more so with having kids with us as it would be more like non-stopping slide out and back in and that means faster slide motor and mechanism wear out or replacement. Yes, there are many RV designs that have been made or are made now with access with the slides in and we had purchased 5 of them already.

Your $10,000 budget is going to make it a lot harder to find a good non-leaked/leaking 24' to 30' used trailer but being a bumper pull will have a lot more chance than with a 5th wheel as they cost more new to begin with. Inspect in every corner and inside EVERY compartment for witness streaks or softness as the last thing wanted is rot or mold rearing its ugly head.

Having said that, there are also several ways to not have a hitch still in the bed when not needing it and a 5th wheel does pull night and day better than a bumper pull and virtually never sway but TT sure do in cross winds or with OTR trucks passing.

Of note is that you do lose most of the truck bed space for hauling things with 5th wheel pulling, like bikes etc. A 5th wheel 30' long coach box size rig is a lot shorter than a 30' TT coach box size rig as about 4 feet of the 5th wheel trailer is on the bed of the truck so only 26 feet behind the truck. However, with a bumper pull TT there's another 3-1/2' to 4' added to rig length for the "A" frame hitch in front of the coach box plus the ball is already about another foot behind the truck bed too. A difference of 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 feet of total rig length for the same size trailer coach length being pulled and that's a lot! Just a heads up!

We have and have had several of both bumper pulls and 5th wheels so we are no strangers to the good and bad of both.

Choices, choices, choices... and then there's the decision!

We are in our 53rd year of RV'ing and yes, have and/or have many RV's both with and without slides and both TT's and 5th wheels so we do have lots of real experience.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

alaska_av8r
Explorer
Explorer
Duly noted, ty rj

alaska_av8r
Explorer
Explorer
Ty for the input, never thought about access while the slides are in

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
If you rebuilt a camper then you probably know what to look for; water damage, plumbing issues, all appliances work correctly and roof in good shape etc. As for a type of camper, your best bet is to have you and Momma take a look at different floor plans and pick the one that she likes. Also, make sure you can get into the bathroom and fridge while the slides are in. I am sure others will come along with more suggestions. Good luck

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...
For under $10K you are going to get what you get when looking for a 30 footer.

My advice forget about brand...look long and hard for one that isn't or hasn't leaked. Next, you will probably need to replace the tires....

Good luck with your search.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will a 30 foot TT fit in your CGs of choice? $10k isn't much. You'll need to shop and shop, then inspect and inspect.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad