cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New owner of travel trailer- looking to equip

snook7
Explorer
Explorer
Please anyone on some guidance in equipping my new TT for month long trips.

We are trying to create a list of what to put in it, i.e. tools, cookware, eating utensils, etc. Probably need most guidance on what tools to carry. Thank you snook
19 REPLIES 19

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with RavensFan. I know what I need because we add/remove stuff over the last 5 years. But my list isn't necessarily the same as your list. IF you camped in a tent before, take the same stuff. As you camp (driveway, close to home or a store), you'll quickly learn what is "missing". As you camp with others, note what they have that might be beneficial to you.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
the very most important tool. DON,T OVER DUE THINGS. take only what you need.and will use,

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Anything you use in your house, you can use in your camper. You DO NOT need any specialty items that are marked (RV use only), or some such thing like that! Or even marked "RV". There are zillions of other items that can be used and will cost a lot cheaper.

Think of your camper as an extra room in your house, except it has a kitchen, a bath, a living space, and a bed. Now, if this were a second room in your house, what would you put in it? How would you supply it? That's pretty much what you do with your camper.

Tool? The sky is the limit. I carry a basic minimum. I have a tool box I keep in my truck all the time. That's sufficient.

You will need chocks for the wheels of the camper, a water hose, and a sewer hose. You may want to get a water pressure regulator for the hose because some campgrounds have really high pressure and can blow your inside plumbing out! I quit using hoses hooked up directly to the camper, and fill my fresh water tank, and pump from it. The on-board water pump will never exceed the plumbing limits this way.

You may want to invest in an extension cord to plug your camper in. This depends upon where and how you camp. (Myself.... I have 135 feet of cord, and carry 200 feet of garden hose, and 50 feet of sewer hose... I'm prepared for anything!) But we never know where we'll be camping next week, or what the campsite is like either.

Sheets, blankets, pillows, pots, pans, dishes ... anything you use in your house! You have to decide if you are cooking over an open fire, or the stove in your camper, or something else, like electric skillets or electric or propane griddles. This will also drive what kind of pots and pans you should use and have.

Hey, it's all fun! Start simple, paper everything ... and work your way up over time! WallMart and yard sales are great places to get started. And you can always advance as you get more time and experience under your belt.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If your into check lists...http://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14089228.cfm

If your into real life...camp driveway or real close because you're going to forget some stuff and can get it close by.

Also if it's empty, now would be a good time to get your empty weight because as time goes on RV's tend to gain weight of too much stuff. And you'll have something to refer to.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone says to spend a weekend camping in it in your driveway. You'll quickly figure out all the things you need. We keep the basics in the trailer (cups, cookware, paper plates, cheap plastic plates, utensils, sheets, blankets, shampoo, body wash, towels, some meds like excedrin and pepto)

As for tools, I take my drill with me to lower the stabilizer jacks ( I think it's a 3/4" socket to lower the jacks), socket wrench set, screwdriver (I carry the one that you can switch out the head piece on it, which is key in an RV because many of the screws have the square head and not philips or flat), pliers, rubber mallet and a couple wrenches. I also take 4"x6"x12" blocks with me. I use these under the stabilizer jacks, the hitch jack and if I ever need to use it for changing a tire. The wood is a key component to have on board.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'