cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to trailering

sshock517
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone. I'm new to trailering camping and I've been researching for a little while. I'm getting ready to make my first purchase and hopefully can get some insight from you guys.
My tow vehicle is a liberty crd diesel upgraded with a tune and TC... I know what there rating is and what not. I'm looking into buying a HTT it will mainly sit on my land in WV all year and be a weekend cabin but I want to be able to use it on the occasional weekend trip. What do you guys think the max size and weight trailer is should be looking at is. Also I'm gonna buy used, any particular brands you recommned?

THanks guys
4 REPLIES 4

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do opt for a dual axle 18 to 19 foot model. The 17 foot and under are pretty much useless.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rhenke813 wrote:
Since you are under this, you're probably only looking at just less than a 19' trailer regardless of the weight.

x2.

you need to check your Liberty's PAYLOAD capacity. that will limit you to 19' and under.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rhenke813
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to consider is the wheelbase of the Liberty, which is only about 104". For safety purposes, a common rule of thumb is that a wheelbase at 110" = 20' maximum length on the trailer. Since you are under this, you're probably only looking at just less than a 19' trailer regardless of the weight.
Rob & Pauline Henke
Mungo, Shelby, Willie-B-Mine (Sheltie/Sheltie Mixes)
2015 RAM 2500 Diesel, Shamrock 23SS, Jayco X18D
MSG US Army Retired

krsmitty
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find out what the max weight your TV can handle. That would give you an idea of the max weight of the HHT. But, make sure to give yourself some room for safety. Take into account weight of all the gear, supplies you are carrying, etc., etc.

The type of WD hitch and TV also play into what you can tow. My first TT (24')weighed only 5,000 pounds, my TV was a Jeep Grand Cherokee (V8) that could tow up to 10,000 pounds. But, I had a bottom end WD hitch and sway bar setup and it was a bad case of the tail wagging the dog.

There are so many brands available now days it is hard to recommend what is good or bad. My first TT was an Ameri-Lite, cheap, entry level, but one of the best RV's I have had owned. Also owned a Jayco, suppose to be better quality, but had more problems with that than my Ameri-Lite. Just find one that best suits your needs and go for it. If buying used, get it thoroughly inspected, especially for water leaks.
Ken Smith
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 Big horn 4x4 6.7 CTD
2020 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS