cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEW TT PICKED UP TODAY

dadof6
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I traveled to MI yesterday and picked up our Passport 2920BH today. At 32' total length it was a white knuckle 7 hr trip back to IN today. I only hit one curb and had to move a rock to get it down the path to its spot at the storage lot. I had to adjust 3 times. Whew!!! Rooke I know. The best was we couldn't remember how to get the E2 off. ๐Ÿ™‚ That took a while.

Q: While traveling back we kept bouncing a bit in our seat. Was I going to fast? I traveled between 55-65 on I-96 and I-69.

Q: While traveling over bridges and concrete vice asphalt I felt a bit of push and pulling between TV & TT. Any guesses on what caused this to happen?

As always, thanks for the input.
23 REPLIES 23

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Dad!! Happy Camping and enjoy the time with those kids while they still camp...

We have only 1 left at that age....I miss all 4 of them being there around the campfire.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
dadof6 wrote:
I posted a pic to my profile since I can't figure out how to post one to the forum.

Nice color, similar to ours. Much better than plain white...
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311SS *Diamond Package
Reese DC Hitch
2010 F150 Platinum(Max Tow, 3.73)
2010 Jayco 23B(gone, but not forgotten)
Me: Civil servant of our great nation
DW of 26 years: Teacher
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo
Too many blessings to count

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
dadof6 wrote:
I posted a pic to my profile since I can't figure out how to post one to the forum.

Cool, looks really nice! They should have used alloy wheels though.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

dadof6
Explorer
Explorer

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
Nice rig, many happy returns. Also interested in the exterior color. Please post a pic.
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311SS *Diamond Package
Reese DC Hitch
2010 F150 Platinum(Max Tow, 3.73)
2010 Jayco 23B(gone, but not forgotten)
Me: Civil servant of our great nation
DW of 26 years: Teacher
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo
Too many blessings to count

dadof6
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp: We'll be in KY over Easter. We have Brown Cty scheduled the following wknd.

DutchmenSport: We researched all over IN, IA, OH, KY, & MI. This was our first TT purchase and we didn't want to settle. Dealers in IN either didn't have what we were looking for (Don Raper, Camping World) or didn't want to answer questions when I was researching unless they knew I was going to buy from them. Certain specifics of the interior was non-negotiable (quad bunk).

We figure we're set for 10 yrs until all the kiddos are out of mi casa. Then we'll probably upgrade to Class A (so says DW anyway). ๐Ÿ™‚

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
dadof6 wrote:
DW and I traveled to MI yesterday and picked up our Passport 2920BH today. At 32' total length it was a white knuckle 7 hr trip back to IN today. I only hit one curb and had to move a rock to get it down the path to its spot at the storage lot. I had to adjust 3 times. Whew!!! Rooke I know. The best was we couldn't remember how to get the E2 off. ๐Ÿ™‚ That took a while.

Q: While traveling back we kept bouncing a bit in our seat. Was I going to fast? I traveled between 55-65 on I-96 and I-69.

Q: While traveling over bridges and concrete vice asphalt I felt a bit of push and pulling between TV & TT. Any guesses on what caused this to happen?

As always, thanks for the input.

Congrats on your new T.T. I hope you enjoy it , and remember HAPPY TRAILS>>>.:B

Kennedy.
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
You need to post some pics!
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just curious, why did you go to Michigan to purchase your Passport. Passport is a Keystone brand, and Keystones dealers are all over Indiana, manufactured in Elkhart. Walnut Ridge near New Castle, and Modern Trailer in Anderson I know of right off the bat sells Keystone brands. And Camping World in Greenwood also sells Keystone brands. Just curious why Michigan?

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
dadof6 wrote:
Congrats Speedogomer on your new TT.

nomad297: Funny. I meant to drive it with the dealer or tech. We didn't do a test drive with them like someone had asked.

I forgot to tell you guys the best part! The model we purchased just off the assembly line March 10 came in the color we wanted with the outside shower. BONUS!!! I know at times manufacturers will make changes on the line without prior notice to the dealers. Well, this color chg was exactly what I wanted. I was going to simply accept the white color to get the interior DW wanted.

I appreciate y'all's knowledge and shared input. I know the purchase isn't the end but the beginning of even more research and understanding. Driving this TT will be uneasy at first but we'll get it. We've already booked our summer with sites here in IN and also in KY, TN, & WI.

So you got the upgraded grey color exterior? My cousin just bought a passport, and it came in a really pretty Grey color exterior. I always found the white passports very bland, they Grey looks awesome though.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the purchase!

We are right up the road from you in Southport. Let me know if you'll be at Brown County State Park over Easter weekend and I'll look for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

dadof6
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Speedogomer on your new TT.

nomad297: Funny. I meant to drive it with the dealer or tech. We didn't do a test drive with them like someone had asked.

I forgot to tell you guys the best part! The model we purchased just off the assembly line March 10 came in the color we wanted with the outside shower. BONUS!!! I know at times manufacturers will make changes on the line without prior notice to the dealers. Well, this color chg was exactly what I wanted. I was going to simply accept the white color to get the interior DW wanted.

I appreciate y'all's knowledge and shared input. I know the purchase isn't the end but the beginning of even more research and understanding. Driving this TT will be uneasy at first but we'll get it. We've already booked our summer with sites here in IN and also in KY, TN, & WI.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
dadof6 wrote:
we didn't drive it out of the lot. That would've been great

I don't understand. How did you get it home, then?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm relatively new to towing over the road as well, as I just bought my first TT. Prior to this I'd only towed things a handful of times over the road. I did spend the first 20 years of my life farming, so towing implements with tractors was normal to me. Backing up I can do with my eyes closed... Unless I have to use my mirrors... Learning to back up with a tractor (that dosen't have side mirrors) I need to look behind me to back up well. Adjusting for wider turns and compensating for the extra length behind me isnt that hard for me. I also grew up with my family always having a boat, so we always towed something.

My point: If you grew up around it, and doing it, towing isn't scary at all, it's just different. If it's all new to you, then it's definitely something that causes alot of white knuckle moments. Every bump feels different, every turn is a headache. The ride is rough, and backing up is your nightmare.

You'll get used to it. The ride will be different in your vehicle, very different. It shouldn't be obnoxious, but you'll always remember there's something behind you.

Make sure your hitch is set up correctly, watch some YouTube videos about trailer maneuvering, and find an empty parking lot to practice.

Towing can actually be fun. It's a challenge at times, and requires much more concentration. If you're used to just hoping in your truck and going, hooking up to a trailer can be daunting... Don't worry, you'll get better, it'll get easier, and you'll learn to really enjoy the towing experience.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.