cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie needs avice

Shark1007
Explorer
Explorer
Hello there, new guy from Orlando. I had a 25 Terry years ago that worked nicely. I've recently had some medical issues and long distance flying is out. We are considering a TT as I have a 2104 Ram Cummins 4x4 that will pull anything.

If I am able to travel, I'd like to do national parks and hear there's a size preference or limit. I will keep the TT on my property as a guest house and I'd like to spend 25K or less.

Any suggestions as to brand, size, options? My knowledge base is 30 years old, but we are boaters and used to the space restrictions a TT would present. I'm learning that portable gennies are the rage, that's a news item for me and makes sense.

Thanks in advance. There are two of us and five small rescue dogs to house. I can easily build a secure travel pen on a bunk for the little ones. The Chihuahua, of course likes to drive.
17 REPLIES 17

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
2500 mega means the truck probably weighs ready to go around 8000 pounds and has a 9900 pound GVWR. So based on that you might have 2000 pounds for gear and hitch weight. Keeping your TT ideas to around 25 feet should be a decent match. Go shopping for used trailers in that size. Pick what you feel most comfortable in.

Shark1007
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I understand. We have an aluminum bed cover that hinges in the middle so the truck can really be loaded. I like the slide idea and my thinking is to get as large a TT as doesn't exceed any Nat'l park restrictions.(whatever that is these days)

Our truck has the mega cab which adds some interior storage space too.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The DW and I get along quite well in a 24 ft 5000 lb TT with slide.

As you will soon hear it is not what your truck can pull, it is what it can carry.

You will run out of cargo capacity before you run out of towing capacity.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.