cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here, so I will start with a hello to all.

Not only am I a newbie to this forum I am also a newbie to the travel trailer world. I was handed the keys to a 2000, 30 ft fleetwood mallard. I have been giving it a little TLC since it had been sitting in one spot for 8 years and utilized only during the winter months and used solely on city water. Recently we took it out and discovered that the fresh waster reserve was empty. Before I left I had a hose in the fill port for a bit of time until it was overflowing. Not sure when it began overflowing as I was doing other things. When I returned from thr trip I once again put a hose in the fill port and almost immediately it was overflowing.

My question is; do I need to have the pump on during the fill or is there a valve that is stuck closed?

Thank you in advance
25 REPLIES 25

30Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
budgiedome wrote:
I've had this problem with a rental that was always used on hookup/city water. The vent line was installed wrong with a dip that filled with water. I cut the vent line, reran to get rid of the dip and reattached. I bought a used trailer and the vent line was clogged because of mold. I replaced the vent line, cleaned everything and completely flushed and drain the fresh water tank many times.

I'm assuming the hose was going to the fill port, not the city water hookup. No need for the pump to be on.

Thank you

budgiedome
Explorer
Explorer
I've had this problem with a rental that was always used on hookup/city water. The vent line was installed wrong with a dip that filled with water. I cut the vent line, reran to get rid of the dip and reattached. I bought a used trailer and the vent line was clogged because of mold. I replaced the vent line, cleaned everything and completely flushed and drain the fresh water tank many times.

I'm assuming the hose was going to the fill port, not the city water hookup. No need for the pump to be on.

30Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
guys not that confusing. he is asking if he needs the pump on to fill the tank. he does not. I think the OP realizes he needs the pump on to draw from the tank. that's not what hes after. sorry for the confusion OP.

Thank you.....

They did however answer part of the question regarding the possibility of clogged valve or kinked hose.....

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
guys not that confusing. he is asking if he needs the pump on to fill the tank. he does not. I think the OP realizes he needs the pump on to draw from the tank. that's not what hes after. sorry for the confusion OP.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are not hooked to city water, ie hose connected to a spigot and connected to the side of the trailer, then yes, it must be on. The pump will provide the water pressure to move the water from the fresh water tank to the shower, sinks, toilet, water heater, etc.

If you are hooked directly to the "city" water system, the "city" water system provides the pressure needed to move water to the sinks, etc. Just like at your house in the city.

If you have a house out in the country and are on well water, you must have a pump to get the water to the sinks, etc and to provide pressure.

30Mallard wrote:
Atlee wrote:
The water pump was switched on, correct? If it was switched on, you did hear it run, correct?

You could have a problem with the water pump.

No it was not, that is part of my question. Do I need to turn it on?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
OK now I'm a little confused....

No you don't need to have the water pump on to fill the fresh water tank.
Yes you do need it on to have pressure to your faucets and such IF you are not connected to city water line. A lot of trailers can only fill the Tank with a gravity feed hole with a cap on it (some have an optional valve from the city line but lets work on your fill port since that is what you were using).

Sometimes when filling the fresh water tank through the fill port you can actually fill too fast and create a pressure backup. This is worse if the vent line is clogged (could be as it hasn't been used for a while) this line is a small vent line that might go to the roof, could come out under the trailer, or might be a small screened port next to the fill cap. You may want to try the filler nozzle thing linked to above and sometimes that helps or maybe just slow the water pressure down can also help. The fill line might be kinked or have a bend in it that also slows down the filling process thereby making you think it was full. That line is the one from the fill cap and you will have to figure out what is on the back side of that fill port to know where to look to see the hose if you want to see if it is kinked.
The quantity panel may or may not work. Usually they last a while for fresh water but not so good for Black or Gray. You will have to check once you know you got water in the tank.

Personally I would try just filling it up with a low pressure from your hose and see if it takes water at all, and then turn on the pump and see if water comes to your faucets. You will hear the pump when it operates. Usually right after you turn it on until it builds up pressure (a second or two) and then fairly continuously once a faucet is opened.

Good luck.

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Climb under the trailer and find the fresh water tank. Check that the drain valve is where you want it (open or closed). Follow the fill tube to the side of the camper. Check that all is clear of blockage. The pump does not need to be on for filling. Use low pressure (don't turn the faucet full on). Make sure water is getting to the tank. Check the drain valve again. Is it open and draining as water is going in? Close it. Check for other leaks. Once water is in the tank, turn the pump on and see if water will come out of a faucet.

You might need a new fill tube. On mine it is a plastic tube that I could get at Lowe's if needed. Or check with your local RV dealer.

Make sure you sanitize it. I use chlorine dicor (I think that's what it's called) It is for all intents and purposes, bleach. For bleach, I can't remember what the ratio is.

Have fun with it..
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

30Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
30Mallard wrote:
Atlee wrote:
The water pump was switched on, correct? If it was switched on, you did hear it run, correct?

It can't pump water when it is off.

To fill the tank?

30Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG4706 wrote:
30Mallard,

Maybe I'm reading you OP wrong. You indicated that the trailer had been on city water for eight years and you found your fresh water tank empty.

You know there are two separate water systems on your trailer? With city water and city water pressure, your trailer is fed water to all faucets and toilet.

If you use your fresh water tank (with not being on city water), you need to turn-on the water pump to pump water from your fresh water tank to all faucets and toilet. Without using the pump, there is no pressure to push the water through the lines from your fresh water tank.

The tank will not fill. The monitoring system shows the freah water tank as being empty. I have tried a few times to fill ot but still will not accept water.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
30Mallard wrote:
Atlee wrote:

It can't pump water when it is off.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

30Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

30Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Are you sure the fresh water drain valve is closed?

Thats what I trying to figure out....is there a valve?

If so where would I find it

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
newman fulltimer wrote:
have to fill slow those were known for kinked hoses or odd bends in the fill tube also the vent lf ine could be clogged

I agree, after sitting for 8 yrs, the vent line is likely plugged with mold, dirt, bugs, whatever. For water to go in, air has to come out.

Yes, some just need to be filled with less pressure.

After 8 years, I would look into replacing, or removing the vent line for cleaning, and sanitizing the water tank.

Congrats on the new to you trailer, and welcome to the forum!

Jerry

EA_Williams
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Some find that they need something like this:

Filler

The monitor panels are about as reliable as you first girlfriend.

These are handy but don't get it from CW, the valve will be installed backward.