cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Prep??

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for a used 3500 diesel truck to tow a FW. My search is almost entirely online, as these vehicles in my price range are hard to find locally, therefore I am willing to find one 1,000-miles away.

I would like to know what I should be looking for regarding if the truck is 'prepped' for a fifth-wheel hitch.
I have specifically found a few 2011-2013 Silverado 3500HD Diesels that I like...but by looking at pictures of the bed, they do not have any indication that they are prepped for a hitch mount.
Of course, I really don't want to purchase a truck 1,000 miles away, only to find that major work needs to be done before bolting a fifth-wheel hitch to the bed.

Help!?
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
14 REPLIES 14

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so my understanding is that most all hitches will fit most any rails. However, am I correct when I say ALL rails will fit most all truck beds?
I am about to purchase this 2013 Chevy 3500HD...located 750 miles away. And I REALLY don't want to get it home to find out some major modification needs to me made to the truck for me to install a hitch and rail system I buy on Craigslist!
The truck has a bed liner...but in the pictures I don't see any imprints in the liner that shows where the rails would be connected to the bed.

Again, thank you for all your help!!!!
Luke & Carolyn

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
mekkerl wrote:
I'm thinking of going the rail route -- seems most economical and 'simple' for our use.

Last question -- I am also in the market for a used hitch...anything I should look out for? Lots of Reese one's available.

And if I install the rails myself...is it safe to assume that most any hitch will attach to these rails?

I went with rails too. Economical and versatile. Any hitch designed for rails will fit it, and you can get a gooseneck hitch that mounts on them as well if you also have a need for a gooseneck attachment.

Rails are universal so any hitch designed for them should work fine.

Installing them yourself is a good excuse to buy a nice big torque wrench so you can crank everything to spec. :B
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at a short bed GM truck I believe they only came in the 2500HD.

mekkerl wrote:
Thank you for the quick responses!
I am looking at SRW standard bed (6.5'), so would need a sliding hitch after researching.
The FW we are looking to get has a GVRW of 15,500 and also has the corners 'cut' out of the front end for easier turns, etc...

I assume the B&W turnover ball has to be factory installed?
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
Haha -- yes, I've come across TexasDirect many times the past few weeks. Most of what they have is still out of my price range, but most of what I am finding is out of price range, unless we up our budget...which is not idea seeing we also have to purchase and install the hitch!
Luke & Carolyn

dedmiston
mekkerl wrote:
I am in the market for a used 3500 diesel truck to tow a FW. My search is almost entirely online, as these vehicles in my price range are hard to find locally, therefore I am willing to find one 1,000-miles away.

I don't know how adventurous you're feeling, but you might want to check out http://www.texasdirectauto.com/. The market for used trucks is pretty grim here in So Cal, so I widened my search. It turns out the market for used trucks is FANTASTIC in Houston. I saved $6k by buying from them. They would have delivered it too, but I wanted to see it in person. My wife and I flew out on a Friday and took the weekend to drive back home. It was a great deal and a lot of fun.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't the 6.5 ft bed considered a short bed and the 8 ft bed a long bed? You may need to check your clearances with the set you are looking a 6 ft. bed, you may not have enough clearance in a tight turn, when backing up.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Reese rails, as are most, are pretty standard. IMO, you can't get a better rail mount hitch for the money, than the B&W Patriot, 16K, or 18K. Yes, they will fit Reese rails.

Jerry

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of going the rail route -- seems most economical and 'simple' for our use.

Last question -- I am also in the market for a used hitch...anything I should look out for? Lots of Reese one's available.

And if I install the rails myself...is it safe to assume that most any hitch will attach to these rails?
Luke & Carolyn

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IdaD wrote:
mekkerl wrote:
I am looking at SRW standard bed (6.5'), so would need a sliding hitch after researching.
The FW we are looking to get has a GVRW of 15,500 and also has the corners 'cut' out of the front end for easier turns, etc...

You can install a gooseneck ball yourself easily enough, or have a shop do it if you're nervous about cutting into the bed. Just be aware with the turnover ball style hitches that you could have bed deflection issues. I personally think the factory pucks or FW rails are a better setup because they enable all four corners of the hitch to mount directly to the frame.

I would not install the turnover ball system, unless you have use for the ball, such as goose neck trailer. The puck system is best, but I have no issue with installing rails. They are easy to install, and if you cut your bed mat around them, it's like they aren't even there, when your hitch is removed.

Jerry

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
mekkerl wrote:

You can install a gooseneck ball yourself easily enough, or have a shop do it if you're nervous about cutting into the bed. Just be aware with the turnover ball style hitches that you could have bed deflection issues. I personally think the factory pucks or FW rails are a better setup because they enable all four corners of the hitch to mount directly to the frame.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gm just recently came out with FW prep kit. Easiest tow vehicle to find with a factory installed FW prep kit is a FORD, years 2011 to current.

Best hitch for it IMO, is a B&W 3300.

Jerry

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer

Luke & Carolyn

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best thing if you are committed to a used GM is the B&W TurnoverBall gooseneck hitch. Then you have a clean bed when hitch is removed. I would highly recommend the 20K companion for a rock solid hitch.

The 13 and newer RAM trucks have the pucks as a factory option or they can easily be added.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a set of custom fifth wheel rails from etrailer for a couple hundred bucks that will bolt on in an afternoon, so any truck without a factory fifth wheel prep kit can be equipped to haul a fifth wheel pretty easily.