cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outfitter electric roof lift system?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have the Rieco-Titan electric roof lift system in their pop-up TC?

I'm thinking of upgrading and want to know if there are problems, issues, etc?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
26 REPLIES 26

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
I've spoken to Outfitter and they will indeed retrofit an electric roof lift system in my 2004 Apex 8. And a new fiberglass roof. And new sidewall fabric.

Getting close to 20% of the cost of a new camper there --. But I might do it too some day. Maybe toss in a newer compressor fridge and a cassette toilet (if you don't already have it) while the roof is off.
Currently thinking of a different plan.
Cal

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
This link has all the pictures from our old camper:

https://goo.gl/photos/1KURMEFcbGpUWrkK7

There are some where you can see the roof lift stuff.
The lift motor is on the drivers side, under the bedside storage. Very poorly accessible.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
No sweat, some lift systems are pretty weird.

Bob, I need a new roof too! But I just got new sidewall last year and didn't have the money for one. I know where the bank is if you have a fast car.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
whazoo wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
You mean it doesn't have a travel limiter? So the operator has to stop at the right height?

Not on mine. I have upper adjustable limit switches on each corner that sets the up travel and the down travel as well.

Never had issue one. Very nice (and unobtrusive) system.

You're real big on your "unobtrusive" system. Maybe you haven't seen an Outfitter lift system. The lift rods and torsion bars do not take up any room in the your words "crowded interior."

Bob, you can do a retro from crank to HappiJac electric system but like said by Joerg, better off if Outfitter did it if they still offer to do it. And they may not anymore I don't know. It's a big hassle for sure. I had to go that way after adding a rooftop storage along with canoe and ac. I could barely crank it by hand. I believe all their campers come with electric lift now. Yes, it is a bit slower.

That is correct I have not, nor are there any pictures on their website that show it.

However, I am familiar with the system that Hallmark used, Northstar used and Palomino used prior to switching to the RT system (I believe Hallmark switched, not completely sure).

All the systems were similar with an internal tubular frame raising the roof and they all intruded in the living space to a certain extent when raised. The RT system don't (other than 4 3x3 galvanized rectangular supports).

Guess I assumed wrongly, pardon my dust....:R
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure SidecarFlip understands I'm talking about an OUTFITTER TC and the roof lift system they have. Which is NOT the Rieco-Titan system I assumed it was. I found that out from joerg68 and Outfitter.

Wazoo, and others, thanks for your input. I've spoken to Outfitter and they will indeed retrofit an electric roof lift system in my 2004 Apex 8. And a new fiberglass roof. And new sidewall fabric.

Just a matter of scheduling now.

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
You mean it doesn't have a travel limiter? So the operator has to stop at the right height?

Not on mine. I have upper adjustable limit switches on each corner that sets the up travel and the down travel as well.

You're real big on your "unobtrusive" system. Maybe you haven't seen an Outfitter lift system. The lift rods and torsion bars do not take up any room in the your words "crowded interior."

Bob, you can do a retro from crank to HappiJac electric system but like said by Joerg, better off if Outfitter did it if they still offer to do it. And they may not anymore I don't know. It's a big hassle for sure. I had to go that way after adding a rooftop storage along with canoe and ac. I could barely crank it by hand. I believe all their campers come with electric lift now. Yes, it is a bit slower.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd call RT in Frankfort, Illinois and talk to them. I'm sure they will steer you right. Nice folks.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geewizard wrote:

2015 Backpack SS1500

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our 2011 Apex 8 had the factory electric lift. It used a single HappiJac jack motor which was connected to the slideout channel of the HJ remote.

It had no up / down end switches, you would just drive the motor into the clutchbif you continued pressing the button. But that was not an issue for us; the lift was very slow (maybe 2 minutes for a full lift).

There is a manual emergency override at the camper side. You would need to stand on a ladder to use it.

Never gave us trouble in the 4 years or so we used the camper.

I think a conversion can be done, but it is a pretty involved project. I'd try to get the factory to do it.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
American RVers without auto stop = danger.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We had it on our Outfitter and it worked well. My wife liked to hit the stop and keep on going, it broke the weld. I fixed it and that was the end of the problem.

We liked the option.