cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking TT on sloped driveway

jrdbrn
Explorer
Explorer
My driveway has a slope left to right due to the height we have to build now in southern Louisiana. I believe it's a 24" slope across 20'. It's fairly significant in terms of long term storage I believe. Is there anything I should do when storing it? Products to help? I'd rather not rent a place to store it.

Talking about a Starcraft 20BH.
22 REPLIES 22

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's hard to tell if the camera is distorting the slope.

24" in 20' would be a 10% cross slope. From the picture, I don't think you are quite that bad. Easy way to check is to take a level set it roughly where the trailer axles would sit on the ground and then with a tape measure lift the downhill side until the bubble shows level. Divide the height (in feet) by the length of the level (in feet). That will give you the actual percentage cross slope where the axles will sit. I wouldn't be surprised if you find it only 5-6% but again, it's hard to tell from the picture.

If it's only 5-6% 2-3 boards should get you pretty close to level with putting it up so high you are worried about it falling off.

Someone else mentioned backing it up until the wheels are off the pavement. I know you mentioned the cost of having that done but assuming you have a pickup, you could go down and get a load of gravel and do it yourself in an hour or two. That would get you by until you can have the pavement extended. I haven't priced up gravel lately but should be under $100.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jrdbrn wrote:
My bad. Wife sent it. I uploaded to imgur and it was small on there. I didn't realized it was scaled down.

Good job on the fix - thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, I try to preview all my posts before posting so I know how they'll present once actually posted.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, the good news is that you won't have any trouble with rainwater accumulating on the driveway! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Plus it looks great for skateboarding.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jrdbrn
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
How about adding a 5-6' long fill off the back end of the slab? Then back the trailer so the wheels are off the concrete and onto the level fill. Your trailer will be further away from where you back your car too.

It's part of the long term plan. Just don't know when we'll have the extra cash to make another pad. We'd have to bring in more dirt then framing, then the concrete. Bad part is my dirt slope goes from each side of my property, so I'd need to figure out how to get the cement 150' from the street ๐Ÿ™‚ I wouldn't let them bring a cement truck on my driveway.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about adding a 5-6' long fill off the back end of the slab? Then back the trailer so the wheels are off the concrete and onto the level fill. Your trailer will be further away from where you back your car too.

jrdbrn
Explorer
Explorer
My bad. Wife sent it. I uploaded to imgur and it was small on there. I didn't realized it was scaled down.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
PaulJ2 wrote:
Point taken. Looks like a beautiful place though!
If it was me i would have some kind of strong metal ramp constructed to back the low side up onto. But light enough that i could still drag it around.

Arrghhh! If you're going to quote a post, including an original WAY too big pic, could you downsize it before you post. :R

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
jrdbrn wrote:

Point taken. Looks like a beautiful place though!
If it was me i would have some kind of strong metal ramp constructed to back the low side up onto. But light enough that i could still drag it around.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jrdbrn wrote:

Good pic but WAY too big ... you need to downsize it. Edit your post and insert "width=600" just after .jpg just as I've done here.

JMO, but unless you intend to run your fridge I'd just park the trailer and not worry about leveling side-to-side.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Once in place, the trailer will look horribly scary.

Not as scary as this Australian caravan we talked about awhile ago here on the forum! :E

jrdbrn
Explorer
Explorer

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
I assume this is a paved driveway? If not i would dig holes on the upper side for the wheels to drop into.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Side to side? We once had a camp site (on asphalt) that had about a 9 inch difference. I was fortunate to see the site a couple months before we arrived and took measurements (This was a state park in Indiana). It gave me ample time to come up with LOTS of lumber.

I ended up stacking different lengths of 2x12's treated lumber on top of each other. The bottom layer being the longest, the top being the shortest. I also tapered the edges where the wheels would roll up.

I also drilled holes between each 2 boards and used metal rods to hold them in place so they would not slip. But the rods would come out so the boards could separate again.

The easiest fix for you driveway is to build a solid stack of lumber and make it a gradual ramp, until both tires are level to each each other. AND use very, very good chocks. I'm talking, a really big stack of lumber here. You might want to make the "ramp" double board wide, which give you a little more wiggle room when pulling (or backing) onto it.

Once in place, the trailer will look horribly scary. But, if the foundation is solid, the camper will be just fine. Make good foundation blocks for the stabilizer jacks and the tongue jack too. The important thing is to make it long enough it's easy to back the camper onto, and wide enough you won't slip off the edge (which would be a disaster).

That's what I would do, and yes ... I agree with you ... parking the camper in a storage lot is NOT the answer!

The other alternative, as mentioned above, is to pour a block concrete and make a concrete ramp. That would also work, and probably be much safer too.

jrdbrn
Explorer
Explorer
I'll get a picture. It is ridiculous, but that's what the builder did.