cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable Surge Protector Question

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
The new TT we are picking up this week is a 50 amp set up with 2 AC units. Some of the campgrounds we frequent still have a number of 30 amp only sites. I know we can use a pigtail to convert to 30 amp if we shut one AC down, or so I've been told. My question is, if you have a surge protector (I've never used one before) wouldn't this cause it to trip for Lew voltage?

I prefer the smaller in line one due to cost & simplicity, but would I need to get one in 50 and one in 30? Not worry about it if I'm only using 30? Or do they sell one that can do both amperages?
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350
8 REPLIES 8

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, get an EMS unit, not just a surge protector. EMS units often get referred to as a surge protector, but they are much more than that. Low voltage and faulty pedestal wiring are the most common problems you will run into and the PI surge protector will not help you. Do a google search to find the lowest price. Even at around $300, it's cheap insurance compared to the possible thousands of $$ in damage that can happen.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Puttin. You want an EMS not just a surge protector. The linked P.I. EMS-PT50C can be found cheaper by using Google to shop for it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
No,

Although it's a Progressive- that is their bargain unit. Get the full-featured one- it's around $500.00. Not sure why the link isn't working for you, it's ok here. Just do a search for Progressive industries and you'll see it. I've had mine now for 10 years.

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
The link doesn't appear to work, but I can see its a PI unit.

Is it one of these:
http://www.bestconverter.com/RV-Surge-Protectors_c_192.html

2011 Ford F-350

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger,

Any surge unit is better than none at all but I'd highly recommend this one:

Best one

Guaranteed forever, great customer support and better protection than anything else out there.

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, but I wasn't worried about the pigtail causing an issue, just whether a 50 amp unit would work on a 30 amp box. I.e. whether amperage mattered. Doesn't sound like a 50 amp protector will have any issues on a 30 amp line.

I'm looking for a price conscience option - outfitting a new TT will do that, even though I saved a lot of stuff from my last one.

This one seems like a good deal - any thoughts on it?
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/item/smart-rv-surge-protector-50-amp/56424

2011 Ford F-350

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Just using a pigtail will not cause a voltage problem. It's electrical conditions at the park/power company and demand on the system that impact voltage and not if you are using a pigtail.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
The 50 amp will work on a 30 amp circuit. It measures volts, not amps, and 30 amp and 50 amp are both 120 volts. Just use the adapter to go from 30 to 50, plug in your surge proctor and plug in your power cord. All will work fine.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel