cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with B&W Companion unhooking from hitch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
So I have 10 1/2 years and 85,000 miles on my above mentioned hitch. We have been moving slowly to our winter gig while hitting NPs that the wife hadn't seen since she was 8. We have stayed in 27 campgrounds and unhitched at most other than a few overnights on flat sites.

So we pulled into a USACE park last night, our last before a days drive to our gig park for the winter. Site was not very level. I went to unhook, no big problem. Lowered the front jacks to take the weight off the hitch, hopped in the truck and placed in neutral to take any front/back pressure off of the pin. Got out pulled the safety pin and then pulled the release handle. I always check to see if the jaws have opened sometimes they haven't so I get back in the truck and shift from D to R with just the idle is.

Jaws still closed? Put truck back in neutral, raised the trailer a bit nothing. Lowered the truck still nothing and there is no pressure on the locking lever.

Of course this leaves me with a problem as we are a days drive 280 miles. I have to assume something is broke within the mechanism but does that mean the jaws are closed and unable to open or since their is no presure on the locking lever a strong pull could pull the jaws open and cause a possible disaster.

Any thoughts?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu
51 REPLIES 51

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve got nothing to add as far as advice, but I’ve had several different hitches and the Companion is my favorite. I don’t think you have a hitch problem, as has been already implied. Happy travels.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That happens to me often. It's frustrating, like getting stuck in mud, but you just have to work through it.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Pinning the hitch open and then backing up a touch to release the pressure, and then pulling forward should work."

YES!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the B&W if there is any pressure against the jaws, then the hitch won't open. You can lock the hitch open and it still won't release. If the site is unlevel, then it's possible the truck weight is against the jaws and won't allow the hitch to open.

Pinning the hitch open and then backing up a touch to release the pressure, and then pulling forward should work.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
In certain conditions, it is best to lock handle open. If jaws are not yet open, they should in fact be released. Of course, with jacks down, and weight off from hitch, just pull forward, jaws will open.

Jerry

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
There is a hole that you need to put a pin in at the front of the hitch after moving the handle to the open position. With the handle pin open, there is no way for the hitch to remain closed. I'll see if I can find the instructions from B&W, it happened to me once and I found the answer there. Page 23 #5 from B&W. Releasing Hitch
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would put the front jacks down and take weight off the hitch, put the truck in D and take my foot off the brake. Then I would put the truck back in park and try opening the jaws.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5