cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with B&W Companion unhooking from hitch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
So I have 10 1/2 years and 85,000 miles on my above mentioned hitch. We have been moving slowly to our winter gig while hitting NPs that the wife hadn't seen since she was 8. We have stayed in 27 campgrounds and unhitched at most other than a few overnights on flat sites.

So we pulled into a USACE park last night, our last before a days drive to our gig park for the winter. Site was not very level. I went to unhook, no big problem. Lowered the front jacks to take the weight off the hitch, hopped in the truck and placed in neutral to take any front/back pressure off of the pin. Got out pulled the safety pin and then pulled the release handle. I always check to see if the jaws have opened sometimes they haven't so I get back in the truck and shift from D to R with just the idle is.

Jaws still closed? Put truck back in neutral, raised the trailer a bit nothing. Lowered the truck still nothing and there is no pressure on the locking lever.

Of course this leaves me with a problem as we are a days drive 280 miles. I have to assume something is broke within the mechanism but does that mean the jaws are closed and unable to open or since their is no presure on the locking lever a strong pull could pull the jaws open and cause a possible disaster.

Any thoughts?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu
51 REPLIES 51

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
stickdog wrote:
I keep the hitch greased both the jaw, the zerts,

What is a "zert"?

Just a simple grease fitting, more commonly called zerk. On the B&W FW hitch, it is on under side of hitch head.

Glad to hear the OP's problem is solved!

Jerry

I met a guy with a heavy Mobile Suites and he had a Companion hitch. We started talking and somehow I mentioned lubrication of the B&W, I got the blank stare.....

He had no idea there was a "ZERK" under the head and the mounts the head rides on needed to be lubricated also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
stickdog wrote:

What is a "zert"?

I think it's kinda like a "ZIT" only the lube goes in instead of out.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
deltabravo wrote:
stickdog wrote:

What is a "zert"?

Just a simple grease fitting, more commonly called zerk. On the B&W FW hitch, it is on under side of hitch head.

Glad to hear the OP's problem is solved!

Jerry

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
stickdog wrote:

What is a "zert"?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Another happy ending to a B&W bedtime story!

My custom made bed step makes it a breeze to reach the handle to pin it open on the rare occasion I need to do so.

Just grab the aluminum step from the 5W for us under tall people.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

It can be a bit of a stretch to reach into the box to pin the lever open. So as I mentioned earlier you can let the trailer jacks down to hold the weight of the trailer then put a bit of forward pull on the jaws by placing the truck in Drive, release the brake, and go back to Park. Then when you release the jaws the truck and trailer separate as the jaws open..... it's not necessary to pin the lever.
If the nose of the trailer was downhill, then is is necessary to pin the handle open. He did say it wasn't a level site. I have to pin mine open every time I unhook here at home.

I'm quite sure I wouldn't have to pin mine no matter what the topography, but, I am a bit of a risk taker so sometimes I do things that aren't necessarily considered safe. Pinning the lever is a good idea.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My custom made bed step makes it a breeze to reach the handle to pin it open on the rare occasion I need to do so.

Well ... EXCUSE US RON ! ! :B

I need to get my arse up on my $11.99 plastic folding stool and use my telescoping magnet to get the pin :C
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:

It can be a bit of a stretch to reach into the box to pin the lever open. So as I mentioned earlier you can let the trailer jacks down to hold the weight of the trailer then put a bit of forward pull on the jaws by placing the truck in Drive, release the brake, and go back to Park. Then when you release the jaws the truck and trailer separate as the jaws open..... it's not necessary to pin the lever.
If the nose of the trailer was downhill, then is is necessary to pin the handle open. He did say it wasn't a level site. I have to pin mine open every time I unhook here at home.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
stickdog wrote:
Well this morning with the wind and rain stopped I pinned the release handle open. I haven't been doing that as I have to lay over the side of the bed to reach it. Didn't have to do that with the previous truck and trailer as that 5er had a extended hitch pin.

To make a short story shorter the jaws popped open as soon as I raised the trailer.

I keep the hitch greased both the jaw, the zerts, and the uprights. Maybe need a good cleaning as dust and other crud could have built up. We have been in very dusty areas the last couple months.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Well this morning with the wind and rain stopped I pinned the release handle open. I haven't been doing that as I have to lay over the side of the bed to reach it. Didn't have to do that with the previous truck and trailer as that 5er had a extended hitch pin.

To make a short story shorter the jaws popped open as soon as I raised the trailer.

I keep the hitch greased both the jaw, the zerts, and the uprights. Maybe need a good cleaning as dust and other crud could have built up. We have been in very dusty areas the last couple months.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I forgot!!! YES a standard lube plate can be an issue!!! I changed mine out long ago to a 1/8" model.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
One thing to add, concerning hard to release, is that it can be a tight fit, under certain conditions, and using a thick lube plate. There are thinner lube plates available, from several sources.

fj12ryder gave a good tip to open jaws, when there is pull from truck, holding the jaws. ๐Ÿ™‚

Above, from Cummins 12V98, also good idea, as real people will answer, and will have/get the information you need.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's Monday, give B&W a call then let us know what they say.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only does that when I try to pull out after forgetting to release it. Then I have to pin it back, or I lasso it with a bungee cord and pull it back and hook the other end to the pickup box edge. Works every time.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS