cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

propane gas alarm on pop up tent trailer

clegger
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I am new with all these things, but I want to make sure. Can use all the help and advise I can get. I have a propane alarm system in our pop up tent trailer. It is located under the table. It says that if its green, it is active and of course, red is alarm. If its yellow and that is what it is now, it needs replacements. Replace what? surely you don't replace this unit. Doesn't seem to have batteries. Looks like it runs on electricity.

Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
4 REPLIES 4

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The yellow alarm means replacing the unit. The gas sensing technology has a finite lifespan. Similarly with CO detectors and some smoke detectors, the technology of detection involves materials with a short effective life.

I wish you good luck in finding a suitable replacement, mnaufacturers keep changing models, get bought by competitors, go out of business.

Make sure your 12V electrical system is up to snuff, as low voltage power supply will suggest detector failure.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, how old is the trailer? Yes they need replacing but I have one in my 2006 trailer that is still working.

Here are a couple of things to check. If the battery in the trailer gets low you would usually hear a chirping sound. This usually happens in the dead of night by the way. I remember during once such night the light was yellow.

My batteries were fine so I went online to a forum like this one and was told that sometimes these things accumulate dirt and dust and that can cause a problem. Mine had a "reset" or "check" button, or was it a "test" button? I pressed that and everything went back to normal. I was going to try to simply blow it out with compressed air if that didn't work. Since yours isn't making the chirping sound my guess is that you probably need a new one.

Good luck. Come back and share your solution here.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it runs on electricity...from your 12V system....not a battery that is in the alarm...

and...yes these units have a life span. Any that I have had have "chirped" when they need attention..

Maybe google the make and model and find the manual that will tell you exactly what the yellow light is indicating.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro