cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions for 4Runner Owners

Pat_in_Speedway
Explorer
Explorer
A few questions for you 4Runner owners out there. We're giving serious consideration to replacing our '04 Envoy XUV with a mid-2000's 4Runner. Our TT is a 2010 Scotty that is 16' from hitch to tail (single axle) with a dry weight of 2500 lbs.

I'm looking for experiences with 4Runner owners who tow a TT with similar dimensions. Just curious if you use any kind of weight distribution hitch, sway control, etc. One concern I had is going from the Envoy with a 129" wheel base to the 4R with a 109" wheel base. Just curious with that short of a TT if that 20" difference is even going to be noticeable or matter. I'm looking at a V8 with the better tow rating (I believe in overkill!).

Thanks!
Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com
2 REPLIES 2

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 19ft Airstream Bambi with a 2012 4Runner. It has a 6 cyl in it. We used sway control but no weight distribution. The newer 4Runner hitches are not to be used with weight distribution. It pulled fine with that setup. We do tend to travel light.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of folks towing molded fiberglass trailers at and above that size/weight range with Four Runners. In fact, it's considered to be a bit on the "big tow vehicle" side in that group of users. Should do more than fine with your Scotty, and without the addition of that pesky W/D hitch.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien