cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rant - looking for a travel trailer

johnsoax
Explorer
Explorer
I wish some manufacturer made the trailer I was looking for. I have 4 children, and I use a SUV to carry the family. And from all the threads I constantly see here, and on other sites, I'm not the only one looking.

Right now I use a popup to fit everyone and still be able to carry all the gear we need. And for the type of camping we do, it is annoying to have to setup and tear down every day as we travel to our destination. Then when we are at our destination, we have to do a smaller setup and tear down everyday to convert tables and couches to beds to fit everyone.

Someone should be able to design a trailer that will give me 3 or 4 individual beds for the kids and a larger bed for my wife and I while still letting us have our gear for less than 550 lbs of tongue weight.

My vehicle is a pretty typical SUV that has a 550lb tongue weight and a towing capacity of 7700. Once I put all the gear in a trailer, I can pull the weight, but everything that has a floor plan we can use has a tongue weight that requires a 2500 or 3500 truck to pull it, before the gear is even in the trailer.

Why can't someone make something for larger families that fits the smaller vehicles that most people drive nowadays.

I know there are Hybrid trailers. If I wanted to deal with tenting issues, I would stay with the popup.

We want to be able to have a nice base camp for destination camping and be able to stop at places on the way there to make lunch/use the bathroom/ and sleep in the camper without deploying everything (stealth road camping).

Airstream used to build something like this, but they have gone $$$ high end, and super heavy. I can find much older trailers that might work, if I could actually find one for sale...

Anyone have any ideas?
Alex Johnson
1996 Coleman Cheyenne
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE
2 adults, 4 kids (10 and under) and a dog
253 REPLIES 253

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Unsubscribe from this mess. Apparently the OP didn't like what they heard.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

johnsoax
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
I think I am done commenting on a post filled with SOUR GRAPES. Many of people who love camping/RVing have found a way to do it. Most have compromised, SAVED, re-compromised....improved.....adapted.

THESE people all have.

Since the only option you are providing is condecension and that I need to change my tow vehicle, please go ahead and leave.

If you find a new or used TT that meets the majority of my needs, in my stated weight goals, please comment, as others have.
Alex Johnson
1996 Coleman Cheyenne
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, Good luck, you'll need it
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

johnsoax
Explorer
Explorer
Lucky you. I've been checking craigslist about every day since April. Trailers like I want sell out in a mater of hours. The bigger ones stay on for days.

I'm glad you found what you are looking for.
Alex Johnson
1996 Coleman Cheyenne
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

Lobout
Explorer
Explorer
johnsoax wrote:
Lobout wrote:

So forgive my ignorance here, as I am new to the whole TT world myself. You can most certainly find what you are looking for it will just take a bit of work, and you may need to buy used. I drive a Dodge Durango that has a max tow capacity of 6200 lbs and a tongue weight of 620 lbs. I am using it to tow a 1994 starcraft 25CK. This has a master bedroom(ok the bed is not a queen but a full size), and has bunk beds in the back, a couch that folds out into a bed, and the table turns into a bed. This will sleep 6-8 with all the beds. The trailer weighs approx. 4100 lbs dry, with a tongue weight of approx. 450-500 lbs(I need to weigh it to get the exact weight). Now I have not been on any long trips with it yet, as I just purchased it this year, but will be taking it up to the white mountains in NH the first week of July. Other than needing to buy a transmission cooler, I have had to make no changes to my vehicle which seats 6(or 8 if you want to put 3 in the bench 2nd and 3rd row of seats). I did a lot of research before I bought, as like yourself I didn't want to have to change vehicles to accommodate my new hobby. Unlike you, I have a factory tow kit that will handle a weight distributing hitch. I understanding not wanting to make changes, but you may just have to sacrifice a little bit to get something close to what you want.

That is very close to what I want. Thanks for the comment! Like I was saying, most manufacturers don't make trailers like that anymore, yet they sell in a matter of days on the used market.

I found mine on craigslist. It had been for sale for several months. I probably paid a bit more for it than I should have, but it was exactly what I was looking for and is in like new condition, so I couldn't pass it up.

johnsoax
Explorer
Explorer
Lobout wrote:

So forgive my ignorance here, as I am new to the whole TT world myself. You can most certainly find what you are looking for it will just take a bit of work, and you may need to buy used. I drive a Dodge Durango that has a max tow capacity of 6200 lbs and a tongue weight of 620 lbs. I am using it to tow a 1994 starcraft 25CK. This has a master bedroom(ok the bed is not a queen but a full size), and has bunk beds in the back, a couch that folds out into a bed, and the table turns into a bed. This will sleep 6-8 with all the beds. The trailer weighs approx. 4100 lbs dry, with a tongue weight of approx. 450-500 lbs(I need to weigh it to get the exact weight). Now I have not been on any long trips with it yet, as I just purchased it this year, but will be taking it up to the white mountains in NH the first week of July. Other than needing to buy a transmission cooler, I have had to make no changes to my vehicle which seats 6(or 8 if you want to put 3 in the bench 2nd and 3rd row of seats). I did a lot of research before I bought, as like yourself I didn't want to have to change vehicles to accommodate my new hobby. Unlike you, I have a factory tow kit that will handle a weight distributing hitch. I understanding not wanting to make changes, but you may just have to sacrifice a little bit to get something close to what you want.

That is very close to what I want. Thanks for the comment! Like I was saying, most manufacturers don't make trailers like that anymore, yet they sell in a matter of days on the used market.
Alex Johnson
1996 Coleman Cheyenne
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

Lobout
Explorer
Explorer
johnsoax wrote:
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
I'll follow up that I feel your pain and add that a 1/2 ton truck really doesn't solve the problem. Since I would rather downsize to a 4x4 SUV (4 Runner, Xtera, etc) than drive an F-250 every day, I've decided I'll stick our pop-up for regular camping and rent a Class C for summer vacation. When I get closer to retirement, I'll buy a Class C or A.

Yeah, I'm not interested in driving a pickup truck.

The RV industry can continue to ignore the trend that is happening in vehicle size if they want. I can't tell you how many people are buying used popup campers now because 1. TT are too heavy for most people's vehicles and it is awesome to be told that in addition to the 30k you were willing to drop on a camper, you now have to drop another 15-20 for a different tow vehicle, and 2. New popups cost the same as a travel trailer.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I think I am done commenting on a post filled with SOUR GRAPES. Many of people who love camping/RVing have found a way to do it. Most have compromised, SAVED, re-compromised....improved.....adapted.

THESE people all have.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
johnsoax wrote:
I'll follow up that I feel your pain and add that a 1/2 ton truck really doesn't solve the problem. Since I would rather downsize to a 4x4 SUV (4 Runner, Xtera, etc) than drive an F-250 every day, I've decided I'll stick our pop-up for regular camping and rent a Class C for summer vacation. When I get closer to retirement, I'll buy a Class C or A.

The RV industry can continue to ignore the trend that is happening in vehicle size if they want. I can't tell you how many people are buying used popup campers now because 1. TT are too heavy for most people's vehicles and it is awesome to be told that in addition to the 30k you were willing to drop on a camper, you now have to drop another 15-20 for a different tow vehicle, and 2. New popups cost the same as a travel trailer.

I think you are wrong. Trailers are not getting heavier, they are getting lighter. Manufactures have worked hard to produce "lite" versions.

I will agree that they seem to be getting BIGGER....which in turn means heavier. Everyone wants to take it all with them, and still have enough room for some private space.

For instance....when my parents went from pup to TT, they bought an 18' that slept 6. Couch (2), overhead bunk (2) and table (2). Had a stove, fridge and bath. Had to be "converted" at bed time. People with money had 25-30 footers

Now, people want 6 full time beds that they never have to unmake. Slide outs that make the room wider, and storage, storage, and more storage. That size comes with girth.

As for the resale value of pups--- I would say they are people who really want to go camping, and understand the limits of their budget. They then compromise to get the best suitable unit they can afford.

By the way. Trucks and SUV's are out selling cars in the US. Don't believe me, ask the working guy who needs one for business. You can buy a luxury car cheaper. Why do you think they are getting more lavish and more expensive? Families love their big gas gobbling 4 door pick-ups with wifi hookups.

johnsoax
Explorer
Explorer
eluwak wrote:
:S

Wow this thread is something else...

OP, you don't want to change anything about your TV? Great... deal with its limitations. I'm sorry your perfect trailer doesn't exist with its feather weight tongue. The RV industry makes what people buy.

And I have been quite up front that I haven't been able to find what I am looking for. But the suggestion that I change my tow vehicle is not a welcome one. Realistically, it isn't worth it to me. Period.

Some have suggested models I haven't seen, others have pointed out articles that contradict weights published by manufacturers. These are helpful. The tired "buy a bigger tow vehicle" isn't.

Physics works the same way for TT as it does for cargo trailers, which I have been pulling for years.
Alex Johnson
1996 Coleman Cheyenne
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

johnsoax
Explorer
Explorer

Alex Johnson
1996 Coleman Cheyenne
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

johnsoax
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
When you become a serious/dedicated camper you will make the necessary changes,adaptations and compromises to obtain a capable tow vehicle and a RV that matches it.

As someone who has been camping in mutiple forms for over 30 years, this comment is breathtaking in its arrogance.

If you would meander into the Folding camper forum you will see I am not alone, by far.
Alex Johnson
1996 Coleman Cheyenne
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
The short answer to your question is first, RVs must be mass produced to meet the largest demand in order to be profitable. The triple bunk didn't fit that build.

Second, manufacturers could make a trailer light enough for SUV's while hauling a large family but doing so would require carbon fiber, titanium, etc. to keep the weight down and it wouldn't be affordable. The lite models are not meant for long trips as it is.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbshoestring wrote:
johnsoax wrote:
I don't understand a lot of tongue weights on campers.

They are HEAVY.

Most of us want A/C, heat, stove,sink, Microwave, TV, Bathroom....etc...

We suck it up, buy the bigger tow vehicle.

Not willing to do so. COMPROMISE. Be willing to put the table up and down to make a bed, or fold the beds out. Tell one kid to sleep on the floor.

Have you considered buying a cargo trailer, building bunks into it? Sounds easier than trying to get an entire industry to meet your needs, when your needs are a bit unrealistic considering the average user they are currently making happy (for the mst part).

Great Post and you make A LOT of great comments that the OP should take to heart. From the TV to the TT RVing is full of compromises and not being willing to do that is as you correctly stated UNREALISTIC.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL