cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reduce Sway

albertsonr
Explorer
Explorer
So we upgraded from a 26Ft to a 37Ft TT and we have lots of sway now when windy or passed by a semi. We are currently using a WD system with a friction sway bar. We were wondering if we should switch to an Equalizer or Reese dual cam to help with the sway more due to a larger trailer. Suggestions?
38 REPLIES 38

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s a lot of trailer for a half ton truck. The fictional tow rating fools a lot of people. A friction sway bar will have little effect on a trailer that long. At minimum use 2 sway bars but something will built in sway control will definitely be better. It wonโ€™t fix being under trucked though.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 26 foot TT didnโ€™t wag the dog. A 37 foot TT with a light TV will...โ€ratedโ€ or not. Towing capacity goes to pulling power. Iโ€™ll bet you are over on payload. Care to wager?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

albertsonr
Explorer
Explorer
HW 845
GVWR 9600
Dry 7245

The truck pulls the trailer with no problems other than sway in winds and Semi passing.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not gonna get into a long explanation on towing weights but check into payload and tongue weight and get a better understanding of how it works. There is a ton of info on here about it. My guess you don't have the best truck for the job and that will be your weak point. The Pro Pride hitch will most likely help but if you are over weight you are over weight.
What are the trailer specs?

albertsonr
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling with a 2018 Ford F150 5L, it is rated to pull up to 10,400.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you pulling with? That is a big jump in weight and length. If you have enough truck and some extra cash to spend look at the Pro Pride hitch. It's the way to go, and he might even offer a money back guarantee on it, at least 7 years ago he did.

albertsonr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes after reading today I have to make sure the bars are rated correctly for the TW. There is so much out there in the forums it's hard to know which one to go with..

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The Dual Cam will help. First I would also play with adding more tension on the spring bars.
You wan't to stop the sway from starting in the first place as much as controlling it afterwards.

You could also weigh the tongue and make sure the bars are sized right.

coachjeff
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the same boat and just started searching the inter webs this morning!
Me, Wife, 4 kids and a dog
2016 Surveyor 265RLDS
2012 Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban 4 wheel drive.