cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Hitch metalic dust

Render
Explorer
Explorer
After towing with our new travel trailer with new reese hitch there was lot of metallic dust on the ball,every time we got to our next stop and unhooked more dust, I was using a little grease on the ball also. Is this normal thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clean it all off and reapply with a good amount of wheel bearing grease. make sure you are also putting some grease in the trunnion pockets in the hitch head.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
I use a heavy duty wheel bearing grease. It comes in a 1# tub and is very thick, it's also handy to apply, I take the lid off, turn the tub upside down and dub it over the ball. When I pull the tub up it leaves a nice big blob of grease on the flat spot of the ball.

That one blob of grease will last the better part of a season.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Rust probably NOT coming from the ball, but from inside the trailer coupler. As stated above, more grease. Pack it inside the coupler.

Devoredude
Explorer
Explorer
Coupler was dry and rusted. This is a single "ball" bearing and you need to grease it.

Render wrote:
After towing with our new travel trailer with new reese hitch there was lot of metallic dust on the ball,every time we got to our next stop and unhooked more dust, I was using a little grease on the ball also. Is this normal thanks.
07 Terra LX 31M Workhorse - Allison 6 spd

Honda CRF450R (FI)
Honda XR650R (Plated)
Yamaha 06 Rhino (wife)
Yamaha TTR125 (son)
Honda Rancher 4X Quad
1971 Bronco, 302, NP435, Lockers, etc.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
use more grease.
Huntindog