cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator wouldn't work on gas when leaving

msue
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I camped,my refrigerator would not work on gas when I got ready to leave. I had camped 4 nites and had used electricity.

I was told I have to have a fully charged battery for the gas to work on the frig.

I had never had this problem before. Do I have a bad battery or do I have to leave a charger on the battery so the gas will work correctly upon departure?

MSue
4 REPLIES 4

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
After sitting for a while, or after changing propane tanks, I have to turn the stove or furnace on and get them to light, THEN the refrigerator will run on it's own. Makes sense - getting the high flow appliances furthest "downstream" in the gas line will purge all the air/non-gas out of the lines, and allow the relatively low flow fridge to get gas more quickly.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Try it again after your sure that you are completely level.
Dennis Hoppert

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
FYI: The refrigerator does require 12V to run the electronics, even when on gas. If you don't disconnect the battery between trips it's a good bet it's dead. There are several parasitic loads that will kill a battery between trips.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only a voltmeter knows. How the heck would we know?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman