cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped the foot off my electric tongue jack

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
I was victimized by one of the hazards of tailgate camping. While attempting to park my trailer, the foot of my electric tongue jack got caught on a curb and was torn off.

Since the break wasn't clean, I'm not sure how to go about the fix. The foot was torn off, so the exposed steel post is mangled and flared out, preventing me from sliding a replacement foot extender over it.

I guess this question can be shortened by saying, what type of cutting tool will I need to cleanly cut off the mangled bottom of the steel trailer jack post?
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
17 REPLIES 17

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a pipe cutting wrench from a hardware store that will make a pretty clean and straight cut.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
I'll post a picture ASAP, but I can compensate for the shorter post by attaching a drop foot extender IF I can make a clean cut. Right now, that what's I'm unsure of.

How can I cut through the steel post while the rig is hitched to my truck? Sparks will be flying, and I'll need a hand saw to do it. That's outside of my skill set, which isn't saying much.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I guess if you can't straighten it, then you could cut it off. Cutting it will, of course, shorten it's available travel distance so you are going to have to use more blocks.

How about a picture?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro