cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof damage

beast_3
Explorer
Explorer
I was washing off the roof on my 2013 Puma TT today and found 2 areas of concern.

The 1st is a small damaged area where it looks like a branch fell on the roof and scrape off the top layer of the roof material. Under the white outer layer the gray launder layer is exposed. it doesn't look like its all the way thru the material.
Can I patch this with a small dab of Dicor leveling caulk?

2nd is there are 2 or 3 areas where the roof material looks like it has a 'rash.' There are tiny raised areas where the material looks like it has tiny pointed bumps. No sign of damage or anything. My 1st impression is its a imperfection the the material. The material has a grain pattern running the length of the top.
Anyone ever heard of this? Should I be worried?
I'd take to dealer but he's 85 miles away.

Thanks for the help!
Bob

Beast3

3 REPLIES 3

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
I thought EPDM was black on the underside. I pulled a roof vent frame to check the color of mine, on the bottom.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
beast_3 wrote:
I was washing off the roof on my 2013 Puma TT today and found 2 areas of concern.

The 1st is a small damaged area where it looks like a branch fell on the roof and scrape off the top layer of the roof material. Under the white outer layer the gray launder layer is exposed. it doesn't look like its all the way thru the material.
Can I patch this with a small dab of Dicor leveling caulk?

2nd is there are 2 or 3 areas where the roof material looks like it has a 'rash.' There are tiny raised areas where the material looks like it has tiny pointed bumps. No sign of damage or anything. My 1st impression is its a imperfection the the material. The material has a grain pattern running the length of the top.
Anyone ever heard of this? Should I be worried?
I'd take to dealer but he's 85 miles away.

Thanks for the help!
Bob

In your second paragraph, it sounds as though you have a TPO roof, but the first paragraph it sounds like its EPDM rubber…

You really need to know what membrane you have before working on it… especially if it is TPO material…

I personally don’t trust TPO, there has been plenty written about the shortcomings of TPO…
its strong point is its seams, but that shouldn’t be an issue for RV’s that don’t have seams to begin with… but that's another story...

since it last reformulation, I believe it’s 5th reformulation in(2010 or 2011) the industry has been extremely silent this time without touting that things have been finally resolved…

is that a good sign, or are they hiding or waiting for new concerns to crop up…

it’s popularity seems to me, to be more along the lines of cost than not quality…

anyway if your trailer is newer and has TPO the sealants needed may be different than with earlier versions…

according to Dicor, Dicor Lap Sealant can be used with all EPDM (rubber)…

but if your RV has TPO roofing and it was built after 2010, you may need to use the Dicor Ultra Sealant System instead of Lap Sealant to avoid disfiguration and bloating of the roofing that may result from using Lap Sealant….
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would cover the damaged area with some Eternabond tape. As far as the small bumps, I would keep an eye on them and perhaps let the dealer know about them but I would not drive over there for them to inspect at this time. They may request photos or something though.

It is not unusual for things to be stuck under the rubber material during manufacturing but unless they wear through the membrane there should not be any problem.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine