cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof leaks

oleblue
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 Rockwood 8314ss. Recently we noticed some rippling along the top where the slide out is. There have also been some stains along the walls around the windows . We had an RV repair company in and the found other areas of water intrusion. There are some soft spots on the roof and pimpling at the roof line inside some of the cabinets. The roof is an ALPHA roof. The repair company says this is classic ALPHA roof damage and the roof should be replaced. I contacted Forrest River and the sent me to ALPHA for warranty repair. Alpha initially seems ok but the roof warranty is prorated. Won't know the full extent of the damage until the roof is actually opened up but suspectbthere is wall and ceiling damage along with mold which is a whole different issue. I don't think the roof warranty will cover other damages. Looking for anyone with similar experiences on the best way to proceed. Camper is not even paid for yet and it is our dream vacation home. Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

oleblue
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in touch with both Forrest River and they seemed really surprised that I was having any issue with my roof. They would like to have the camper brought to there facility in Indianna. I am leaning towards that option, since they are the manufacturer, they should best know how to fix it.

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

If it was my 2009 RV/TT, I would simply remove the ALPHA roof layer and re-install EDPM sheeting. With 2-3 guys on a good summer day, one can easily reinstall much better EDPM sheeting. And for around the vents, plumbing vents, etc. etc. I'd use EDPM Liquid rubber. Simple 1 Gallon can for around vents and edge sealing would work great.

Lots of You-Tube videos (like - click here - ) on how to install new RV EDPM sheeting. And, lots of good videos on EDPM Liquid rubber on RV roof as well.

IMO, EDPM sheeting and liquid rubber roof (for RVs) has been proven many times over. Especially when proper underlay glue is used. If Alpha roof lifted 1st time, it will probably lift again (if redone with Alpha sheeting again).

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

Many RV makers are using a dry rubber foam to seal their windows. This foam is fitted between inside of window's lip and the TT's outer siding. And like all rubber things (even windshield wiper blade rubbers), their rubber cracks in time. And, these natural cracks allow water entry.

Unknown to some folks, I resealed 11 of my RV/TT windows on its year 4. Of these 11 windows, 3 of them were leaking. And, one window was leaking really bad inside the wall cavity. And, I didn't even know about it.

To reseal a RV windows, surf: - click here -

Note: Remove window, remove its rubber foam, re-install, then add ProflexRV clear adhesive around the outside of window's lip (instead of silicone mention in the clip).

Works great. And, never worry about re-sealing the RV window for the next 10+ years.