Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe to tow ? Mercedes GLS with a 4500 lb travel trailer

outdoorbug
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am a newbie to RVing and planning to buy my first RV. I am also buying a new SUV for my family of 6. I am curious to know your thoughts on towing a travel trailer for the following scneario

- Tow vehicle is a SUV with 7500 max towing rating
- Tow vehicle has max payload of 1600 lbs
- Assuming the 6 passengers together weigh 800 lbs.
- That leaves 800 lbs for hitch
- At 14% for tongue weight, 800 lbs gives me 800 / 0.14 = 5714 lbs
- Assume I have about 1000 lbs as cargo that I will need to put in the trailer.
- That gives me maybe 4500 lbs for a dry travel trailer weight (no cargo)
- Meaning that 4500 lbs dry trailer weight + 1000 lbs cargo = 5500 lbs GVW of the trailer which is below the 5714 lbs available
- Hensley hitch
- I am only going to be RVing for a few camping trips a year of a few days each. So a total like 10 days of RVing a year

What do you guys think of the above ? Would you feel comfortable using the tow vehicle under such conditions ?

thank you !
17 REPLIES 17

outdoorbug
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
If you want to tow that much trailer AND carry 6 people in luxury, the Navigator is by far the best option IMO. The interior is at least as good as the MLS finally, but will manage a heavy trailer far better.

Full size vans are great, but the Express and NV are riding on ancient chassis at the point. Only the Transit has any semblance of a modern driving experience, but a relatively low GCWR. I don't think any of them would meet the OP's tastes, if they were considering a GLS.

Thanks. Yes, I am surprised there are no SUVs (luxury or not) that can carry 6 people AND safely tow 5 to 6000 lbs.

And yes, we are considering the expedition (not max) as an alternative. Surprisingly, a similarly optioned expedition and GLS are roughly same price. I like the navigator too, but with the correct options, I believe it reaches near $100k. I am not comfortable with spending that much. I am ok with $75k or so which is what the base GLS is.

But yes, as I said, even the expedition or the GLS will not be considered safe towing 6000 lbs. So dunno, I might consider ditching the grandparents (and reducing seating requirements from 6 to 4) for long trips and buy the F150+explorer combo (or some variant) instead.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to tow that much trailer AND carry 6 people in luxury, the Navigator is by far the best option IMO. The interior is at least as good as the MLS finally, but will manage a heavy trailer far better.

Full size vans are great, but the Express and NV are riding on ancient chassis at the point. Only the Transit has any semblance of a modern driving experience, but a relatively low GCWR. I don't think any of them would meet the OP's tastes, if they were considering a GLS.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
For good towing capacity and seating for 6, look at vans.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip the Mercedes and look into a Nissan NV 2500 or 3500.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
didn't realize you changed the count. id be looking an an expedition max but paying VERY close numbers to payload (iff you need to stay in one car) if not buy a half ton truck and a fuel efficient car. at no point did I recommend the explorer as a tow vehicle.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people tow with large SUV's, they can be pretty easy to exceed the carrying capacity in though.

If it were me, I'd be buying a full size one ton van (in fact, that's what I did lol). But I'm not an SUV kind of guy, some people just can't get over the 'van' thing.

A new Chevy Express with a 6.0 and six captains chairs would be a sweet ride, and tow very very well.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

outdoorbug
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I thought you said family of 4 in the original post. That GLS is going to be taxed with 6 people. I would look at a van.

Yes, sorry, I edited the question.

My immediate family is only 4. However, we do have 2 grandparents who travel with us once in a while. When I posted the number as 4 originally, I got a few suggestions to buy an explorer instead. Since an explorer wouldn't fit 6 people comfortably, I edited the question from 4 to 6 to avoid any confusion.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
outdoorbug wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
^ why the short wheelbase tow vehicle. clearly budget is there to get a proper vehicle. my f150 and explorer were bought new 9 months apart for around what you are looking to pay combined.......... both seat 4 with lots of room.

I need a good 7 seater SUV for long road trips where I won't be taking the RV trailer with me. I have kids that will start throwing their shoes at me if I take them on a long trip in a cramped SUV.

who said anything about a cramped suv?

frankly 4 people in a super crew half ton truck is a ton of room and solved your problem, was mealy implying you could add an additional 7 seat suv made on this continent with that super crew for the same price as your fancy marginal Mercedes.

do as you like, its your family and your money. if I were you id buy a half ton crew cab from any of the big 3 and bank the extra money.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought you said family of 4 in the original post. That GLS is going to be taxed with 6 people. I would look at a van.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

outdoorbug
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
Don't forget to include the weight of the hitch itself - 100 lbs or so. So you really only have 800-100=700 lbs. 700/.14 = 5000 lbs trailer weight. 1000 lbs cargo in your trailer, that makes your dry trailer weight max about 4000 lbs.

Those are the limits according to the math. It may or may not be a pleasurable ride. If you're going 50 miles a few weekends a year, probably would be okay. If you're going on long trips with a lot of driving time, probably won't be a whole lot of fun driving.

As said above, check your actual vehicle numbers, they might be even lower.

I can say that I don't ever recall seeing a GLS towing anything in any campground I've ever stayed at. Doesn't mean it can't be done, I just haven't seen it.

Thanks. Yes, this is meant for a few camping trips a year. So total like 10 days of RVing a year.

outdoorbug
Explorer
Explorer
truckpro wrote:
If I were you I would call the place where you bought the camper from and ask for help there as well. A lot of times they can look all of the info up for you and let you know if it is a good idea to pull that much weight with the type of vehicle you have.

I am afraid they wont give me an honest opinion since I am trying to buy from them

outdoorbug
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
^ why the short wheelbase tow vehicle. clearly budget is there to get a proper vehicle. my f150 and explorer were bought new 9 months apart for around what you are looking to pay combined.......... both seat 4 with lots of room.

I need a good 7 seater SUV for long road trips where I won't be taking the RV trailer with me. I have kids that will start throwing their shoes at me if I take them on a long trip in a cramped SUV.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer

truckpro
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you I would call the place where you bought the camper from and ask for help there as well. A lot of times they can look all of the info up for you and let you know if it is a good idea to pull that much weight with the type of vehicle you have.