cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Fix This - Frame Cross Member

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
While taking a look at the battery wiring and redoing suspect connections, I noticed the front cross member is bent a bit. I have no idea how this would have happened (second owner) and everything else looks solid and straight with the rest of the frame.

At some point would it be advisable to get it fixed, or is there anything I can do to correct it without welding?

Red arrow indicates the approximate area. Looks to be about dead center across the width of the frame.

2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD
16 REPLIES 16

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the brake and light wiring through the frame crossmembers inside ENT.

If not drilling through crossmembers or not wishing to mess with a sealed under-belly, the ENT plastic conduit is strong enough to defend against road hazard. A common garden hose works just as well but is more difficult to pull through.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the crossmember I would apply some forgetaboutit.

The wires however I would look to get those tucked up in the frame area. Drill a hole and pull them through if needed. Grommet or other protection is needed through the hole.

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Dr. Blake wrote:
2DHoop wrote:
Dr. Blake wrote:
2DHoop - I have an AF and my frame looks exactly like yours at the front where you have the red arrow. Further, I have the same zip ties holding the wires and propane hose to solid pipe connection. Word of caution, Northwood wound the flexible propane connection to fixed connection to tight with an "open C clamp" which ended up breaking that connection. I backed off the tension on the C clamp (2 bolts) and put a small section of rubber between it and the fixed pipe to stop any rubbing. This allows a bit of movement as the trailer flexes while going down the road.
Hope you are enjoying the trailer!!

Thanks for the confirmation, Dr. Blake. This whole mini project started at the battery's connections and in an effort to educate myself about how the system is setup/wired.

Seeing that someone doesn't know how to crimp connections very well, nor prevent corrosion, I proceeded to solder new ring connectors to the parallel jumpers and primary connections.

As I followed the trail to the underside, I noticed a bunch of other "no-goes" as you have pointed out as well.

Also, there are two #8 wires (black and red) that were bundled up but not connected to anything. I don't really want to take off the 12"X12" "hatch" to see where they terminate above the under belly covering so I just rolled them up out of the way for now.

2D - Those wires are for your solar ready panel; the trailer is prewired. I am sure there is a sticker somewhere by your info panel that says "solar ready"; this panel can be removed and there will be a similar set of wires (4) behind the panel to hook-up a charge station/wizard for the panels. Also on the roof there will be a connection point where you would plug in the panels to complete the system.

Thanks again! So as a functional setup with panels installed, they would be terminated and connected to the batteries as an alternate charging option?

Also have wires (looks like 16/18 AWG) sticking out near the tanks. Are these part of the sensors that transmit levels back to the status panel?
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
2DHoop wrote:
Dr. Blake wrote:
2DHoop - I have an AF and my frame looks exactly like yours at the front where you have the red arrow. Further, I have the same zip ties holding the wires and propane hose to solid pipe connection. Word of caution, Northwood wound the flexible propane connection to fixed connection to tight with an "open C clamp" which ended up breaking that connection. I backed off the tension on the C clamp (2 bolts) and put a small section of rubber between it and the fixed pipe to stop any rubbing. This allows a bit of movement as the trailer flexes while going down the road.

Thanks for the confirmation, Dr. Blake. This whole mini project started at the battery's connections and in an effort to educate myself about how the system is setup/wired.

Seeing that someone doesn't know how to crimp connections very well, nor prevent corrosion, I proceeded to solder new ring connectors to the parallel jumpers and primary connections.

As I followed the trail to the underside, I noticed a bunch of other "no-goes" as you have pointed out as well.

Also, there are two #8 wires (black and red) that were bundled up but not connected to anything. I don't really want to take off the 12"X12" "hatch" to see where they terminate above the under belly covering so I just rolled them up out of the way for now.

2D - Those wires are for your solar ready panel; the trailer is prewired. I am sure there is a sticker somewhere by your info panel that says "solar ready"; this panel can be removed and there will be a similar set of wires (4) behind the panel to hook-up a charge station/wizard for the panels. Also on the roof there will be a connection point where you would plug in the panels to complete the system.
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Is there any way to reroute those cables thru existing holes in the frame? They are certainly in harms way. At least some metal conduit otherwise.

No holes through the frame exist. I will come up with something more secure as you suggest. Thanks.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
2013 Arctic Fox 25P

I've got one cross member that had an "ouch" also. 2X4 and a Hammer solved the lip that was bent down on mine. I think NW pulls them around with fork lift and a hay hook when making them. 😉

If it were me...I would take a pic and separate e-mails to NW and two dealers. So you get 3 opinions, all supposedly "expert". Has to be better pic though. You need to be able to see in the pic you send, if cross member is just bent a little and/or if weld is not longer intact.

NW has been very good to me in sending odds and ends parts to me, even though TT is not under warranty. Dave Mann is the contact person at NW I believe.

We've got 25W

Been thinking about this and maybe the factory has to "persuade" these cross pieces during the build in order to help line up the bolt holes used to secure the box to the frame. We all know that it doesn't take but a fraction of an inch to cause alignment problems.

The welds all look in tact, just this cross piece is bent a bit.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any way to reroute those cables thru existing holes in the frame? They are certainly in harms way. At least some metal conduit otherwise.
Puma 30RKSS

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Dr. Blake wrote:

2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the welding done by the frame manufacturer (no names mentioned) is poorly done and even incomplete in some cases.

Having had a serious frame problem on a previous TT that was found the day after we owned it, I would recommend taking it to a reputable frame and axle shop that has experience with TTs. The one we used is a gov't certified inspection facility and they did a very detailed inspection and found a number of things wrong, including bad factory welding. They will be able to recommend any repairs if needed or if it can be leave it alone.

The points where an A-frame connects to the main frame (I-beams) is a high stress area. The frame on our TT which has 2 x 4400 lb axles, doesn't have any tubing between the A-frame members. But your frame must have a bottom mount coupler and I don't know if the A-frame connections are done differently. The cross-piece with the crack at the end looks to be the front of the floor of the TT. It may provide mostly floor support but then it might also be a very important structural connection point too. Considering the potential worst case scenario, I'd get a professional to look at it.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Arctic Fox 25P

I've got one cross member that had an "ouch" also. 2X4 and a Hammer solved the lip that was bent down on mine. I think NW pulls them around with fork lift and a hay hook when making them. 😉

If it were me...I would take a pic and separate e-mails to NW and two dealers. So you get 3 opinions, all supposedly "expert". Has to be better pic though. You need to be able to see in the pic you send, if cross member is just bent a little and/or if weld is not longer intact.

NW has been very good to me in sending odds and ends parts to me, even though TT is not under warranty. Dave Mann is the contact person at NW I believe.

We've got 25W
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You can probably correct it, somewhat, without welding but not successfully for a long term solution. If it was mine, I'd clamp a piece of substantial angle iron on it and see if it can be drawn straighter. After capturing the most deflection possible, I'd tack the angle iron onto the frame piece.

BTW, after your're done with the frame, I'd suggest to clamp those battery wires up to the frame.

Copy that about the securing the cables...that's why I originally got under there and started to have a look-see. Twenty years ago I would have already had the whole under side washed and waxed, but now days I have to pick my battles.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You can probably correct it, somewhat, without welding but not successfully for a long term solution. If it was mine, I'd clamp a piece of substantial angle iron on it and see if it can be drawn straighter. After capturing the most deflection possible, I'd tack the angle iron onto the frame piece.

BTW, after your're done with the frame, I'd suggest to clamp those battery wires up to the frame.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like it was made that way. The bend looks too uniform to have happened from catching on something.